Wiki's MediaWiki version is not latest

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
MCpillager12

Wiki's MediaWiki version is not latest

Post by MCpillager12 »

Title says it all.
Version is 1.32, while latest is 1.33.

x010
Staff

Re: Wiki's MediaWiki version is not latest

Post by x010 »

1.32 is still supported, and I see no major need for us (looking at the release notes) to upgrade at this time. While being in the latest version is nice, the admins here are busy, and I don't think it is required right now.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

MCpillager12 wrote:Title says it all.
Version is 1.32, while latest is 1.33.
Offtopic Comment
Coming from the person who doesn't want to upgrade their operating system (staring at you, MCpillager12) *hehe* Just kidding.
Anyway, you do not always have to upgrade your wiki software version (or any website software) every time a new version comes out. They'll upgrade their MediaWiki software when the time is right.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

x010 wrote:1.32 is still supported, and I see no major need for us (looking at the release notes) to upgrade at this time. While being in the latest version is nice, the admins here are busy, and I don't think it is required right now.
There are some changes:
Basically, you can block a user from editing or creating accounts.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Blocks are hardly a new feature, unless you mean that you can block an IP from creating accounts only, without blocking editing as well.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

I meant that you can block an IP or user from creating accounts only, without blocking editing.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

AlphaBeta wrote:Blocks are hardly a new feature, unless you mean that you can block an IP from creating accounts only, without blocking editing as well.
He's referring to the introduction of partial blocks (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Block_and_unblock). Again, while that's a nice feature to have, it's not a reason to upgrade by itself.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Also the latest MediaWiki version support visual editing. It should be upgraded.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

YueLing11 wrote:Also the latest MediaWiki version support visual editing. It should be upgraded.
VisualEditor (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor) is not bundled-in with any MediaWiki release (even 1.33), and it has been around for some time. While I personally would like VisualEditor to be made available for this wiki, Andy has refused to install it citing its complexity (which is true unfortunately).