Windows 8 is a underrated OS.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
YueLing11

Windows 8 is a underrated OS.

Post by YueLing11 »

I researched the reasons a while back and I came to a few conclusions as to the reason Windows 8 garnered so much hate from people at the time as well as today.

Here's why Windows 8 is underrated:

Lack of a traditional Start menu; VERY BASIC functions like "shutdown" is hidden under the "Settings" charm
Microsoft developers saw an opportunity to disregard legacy and make the kind of radical changes that only a brand new OS offers. They needless eliminated the traditional Start menu and made VERY BASIC computing functions like "shutdown" an adventure to find. As a result, a cottage-industry of 3rd party Start menu programs like Classic Shell and StartIsBack is released. In every earlier versions of Windows, the way to shutdown is Start > Shut down, but Windows 8 hidden a very basic computing functions like that. In Windows 8.1, Microsoft added the power options to Win+X Menu but still many people were having troubles in finding those options.

No direct boot into desktop
When Microsoft introduced Start Screen in Windows 8, many users complained about the direct boot to Start Screen feature. People wanted to direct boot into Windows Desktop as they used to do in earlier versions of Windows. After getting many requests, Microsoft added a new option to enable direct boot into Desktop in Windows 8.1. But the option was not enabled by default and the operating system was still booting directly to Start Screen.

Can't put up with changes
People can't put up with change or such in general and hated Windows 8 because it was different to what Windows had been for almost 20 years since Windows 95 (as of Windows 8.x era)
The bleeding obvious of course is that the fundamental design of START and its menu structure has remained unchanged since the venerable Windows 95 and this is because it’s beautifully simple and just works.
Adding to the above
Windows 8.1 brought back the Start button that user miss to make the desktop a primary user interface instead of a Metro app.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 fixed nearly all the problems.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 adds much requested Power and Search buttons to Start Screen. Now people will have no problem in finding options to shut down, restart or hibernate their computers in Windows 8.1 Update. You're able to use these power options directly and easily via Start Screen.

Windows 10 finally brought back the Start menu.

If there's any other reasons - I don't have a lot of time right now to make this post best I can - feel free to state them.
Last edited by YueLing11 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonWars

Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.

Post by DragonWars »

windows 8 is very underrated but it's better than both 7 and 10 performance-wise.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

I fail to see how any of your points prove that Windows 8 is underrated.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

Well if you want the start menu back, just use classic shell or debombed 9834.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

MCpillager12 wrote:Well if you want the start menu back, just use classic shell or debombed 9834.
I know, but I would use Windows 7 or 10.

Microsoft Windows Fan

Post by Microsoft Windows Fan »

NOTE: The texts below contain my own opinion. Your opinion can be different, and i respect your opinion. However, you should also respect my opinion. People, please do not attack me for my opinion. Thank you for reading...

I totally agree with the fact that Windows 8.x family operating systems are underrated. However, although it was not a bad OS, i remember when i used Windows 8 (Not 8.1, the original Windows 8), it felt really unfinished compared to 8.1. But 8.1 felt much more finished and it fixed (almost) all of the "issues" of Windows 8. The only "issue" was the start screen (Which i don't really mind it but i still prefer the legacy start menu since it is quicker to use). Even though the start button was back, the start screen was still there instead of the legacy start menu and people hated the start screen. So 8.1 didn't get much love either.

But, i must say, i first used 8.1 in 2013 and i love it since. 8.1 is my second favorite OS (after Vista SP2, which was also underrated). I use 8.1 on my main computer. I used to use Windows 10 1809 although because of several issues i had with it, i decided to switch to 8.1 (Which is one of the best decisions i've ever done to be honest). And 8.1 doesn't have any of the issues 10 had. It's also faster and easier to customize. Not to forget that 8.1 manages the RAM usage much better (even better than 7 in some cases).

In conclusion, Windows 8.x family operating systems are underrated. Although Windows 8 was not as easy and complete as older versions, Windows 8.1 was easier and much more complete. Windows 8.1 is also better than Windows 10 and 7 in my own opinion. Although i think Windows 7 is decent, Windows 10 is just kinda buggy and it has some of issues because of that. If Windows 10 works fine for you, then great! If doesn't, then you might consider using 8.1...

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

There's a reason why 10 exists, to fix the problems in 8.0 and 8.1 (Like the Start Menu and Metro apps, among other things). From a technical point of view, 7 is probably Microsoft's best OS, and 8.0, Vista SP0 or ME are the worst (in the 20xx's at least), but it's starting to lose support. Windows 10 is pretty decent though, and it has had several major updates since release, making it much better than your outdated 2015 opinions. I'm also used to it by now.
Last edited by JimOlive on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

From a technical standpoint, 8.0 wasn't bad.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I'm forced to use Windows 10 due to lack of driver support for Windows 8 (which I still prefer over 10) and M$ blocking updates to CPUs starting from Skylake Intel processor (I have Coffee Lake). I also installed Windows build 9875 as it at least has Nvidia support. I also recently installed Kubuntu so that I can have a less bloated OS than 10 when I game. I would simply just go back to Windows 8 if I can (though my laptop is only seven months old). I did have to learn how to use Windows 8, but I mastered it no time.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Microsoft Windows Fan wrote:NOTE: The texts below contain my own opinion. Your opinion can be different, and i respect your opinion. However, you should also respect my opinion. People, please do not attack me for my opinion. Thank you for reading...

I totally agree with the fact that Windows 8.x family operating systems are underrated. However, although it was not a bad OS, i remember when i used Windows 8 (Not 8.1, the original Windows 8), it felt really unfinished compared to 8.1. But 8.1 felt much more finished and it fixed (almost) all of the "issues" of Windows 8. The only "issue" was the start screen (Which i don't really mind it but i still prefer the legacy start menu since it is quicker to use). Even though the start button was back, the start screen was still there instead of the legacy start menu and people hated the start screen. So 8.1 didn't get much love either.

But, i must say, i first used 8.1 in 2013 and i love it since. 8.1 is my second favorite OS (after Vista SP2, which was also underrated). I use 8.1 on my main computer. I used to use Windows 10 1809 although because of several issues i had with it, i decided to switch to 8.1 (Which is one of the best decisions i've ever done to be honest). And 8.1 doesn't have any of the issues 10 had. It's also faster and easier to customize. Not to forget that 8.1 manages the RAM usage much better (even better than 7 in some cases).

In conclusion, Windows 8.x family operating systems are underrated. Although Windows 8 was not as easy and complete as older versions, Windows 8.1 was easier and much more complete. Windows 8.1 is also better than Windows 10 and 7 in my own opinion. Although i think Windows 7 is decent, Windows 10 is just kinda buggy and it has some of issues because of that. If Windows 10 works fine for you, then great! If doesn't, then you might consider using 8.1...
Offtopic Comment
Get a SSD, it's faster and boot in ~10s!

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

JimOlive wrote:From a technical point of view, 7 is probably Microsoft's best OS, and 8.0, Vista SP0 or ME are the worst (in the 20xx's at least)
from a technical point of view, 8.0 (and 8.1) is better than both 7 and 10

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

gtgamer468 wrote:I'm forced to use Windows 10 due to lack of driver support for Windows 8 (which I still prefer over 10) and M$ blocking updates to CPUs starting from Skylake Intel processor (I have Coffee Lake). I also installed Windows build 9875 as it at least has Nvidia support. I also recently installed Kubuntu so that I can have a less bloated OS than 10 when I game. I would simply just go back to Windows 8 if I can (though my laptop is only seven months old). I did have to learn how to use Windows 8, but I mastered it no time.
You can use the patch to allow updates in Windows 7 , search it on Google

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Andreas wrote:You can use the patch to allow updates in Windows 7 , search it on Google
Offtopic Comment
But EOS is coming.
gtgamer468 wrote:I'm forced to use Windows 10 due to lack of driver support for Windows 8 (which I still prefer over 10) and M$ blocking updates to CPUs starting from Skylake Intel processor (I have Coffee Lake). I also installed Windows build 9875 as it at least has Nvidia support. I also recently installed Kubuntu so that I can have a less bloated OS than 10 when I game. I would simply just go back to Windows 8 if I can (though my laptop is only seven months old). I did have to learn how to use Windows 8, but I mastered it no time.
If you want just use Windows 8.1

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

YueLing11 wrote:
Andreas wrote:You can use the patch to allow updates in Windows 7 , search it on Google
Offtopic Comment
But EOS is coming.
Offtopic Comment
Nobody cares about that unless the programs they need the most are outdated and can't perform tasks that they want to do.
Also who cares about browser? You can use Pale Moon.
Also the post below is from WWPC (i am the OP of the topic)
thatvhstapeguy wrote:(Oh, and by the way, they're dropping support for an OS which has 33% market share of Windows, and they'll keep support for an OS (Win8.1) which has 5.78% of the Windows market (7.53% if you include "8.0," which isn't even supported at this point).

Vova23

Post by Vova23 »

For me, Metro UI is better than legacy start menu. You can use both in mouse and touch. But microsoft killed in windows 10, replaced by hybrid of legact start and tiles

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Vova23 wrote:For me, Metro UI is better than legacy start menu. You can use both in mouse and touch. But microsoft killed in windows 10, replaced by hybrid of legact start and tiles
Microsoft brought back the Start menu because Windows 8 got criticized for removing the Start menu. What's wrong with the traditional Start menu?
MCpillager12 wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
Offtopic Comment
But EOS is coming.
Offtopic Comment
Nobody cares about that unless the programs they need the most are outdated and can't perform tasks that they want to do.
Also who cares about browser? You can use Pale Moon.
Also the post below is from WWPC (i am the OP of the topic)
thatvhstapeguy wrote:(Oh, and by the way, they're dropping support for an OS which has 33% market share of Windows, and they'll keep support for an OS (Win8.1) which has 5.78% of the Windows market (7.53% if you include "8.0," which isn't even supported at this point).
I'm not talking about browsers.

Microsoft Windows Fan

Post by Microsoft Windows Fan »

JimOlive wrote:There's a reason why 10 exists, to fix the problems in 8.0 and 8.1 (Like the Start Menu and Metro apps, among other things). From a technical point of view, 7 is probably Microsoft's best OS, and 8.0, Vista SP0 or ME are the worst (in the 20xx's at least), but it's starting to lose support. Windows 10 is pretty decent though, and it has had several major updates since release, making it much better than your outdated 2015 opinions. I'm also used to it by now.
Sorry, i forgot to point out that i used Windows 10 1809 until i switched to 8.1, which was one of the latest releases. So my opinions are not "outdated". Although i couldn't use 1903 because of low disc space, Windows 10 1809 was buggy. 1803 was eh, but 1809 was just bad in my own opinion.
YueLing11 wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Get a SSD, it's faster and boot in ~10s!
I already had and have an SSD. I tried both 10 and 8.1 on the same hardware and same SSD. I never said Windows 10 was slow, i just said that 8.1 is slightly faster.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I do get better performance with Windows 8 over Windows 10, no matter which PC that I have. I have two modern laptops and a desktop.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

DragonWars wrote:
JimOlive wrote:From a technical point of view, 7 is probably Microsoft's best OS, and 8.0, Vista SP0 or ME are the worst (in the 20xx's at least)
from a technical point of view, 8.0 (and 8.1) is better than both 7 and 10
8.0 is even worse. The shutdown button is hidden under the Settings charm. Every other OSes like Linux and Mac have a easily see shutdown button, but I can't believe what do Microsoft think of this in Windows 8. Windows 8.1 Update 1 finally added the much requested Power button to the Start screen, so you no longer having trouble finding shutdown button.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Windows 8 introduced, among all others, a very early attempt at UWP aka WinRT (Windows RunTime 8.x).
No longer did programs have to be recompiled for different architectures or optimized for others. In addition, their sandboxed nature grants further security. Most people like to bash the Store (the primary distribution source) and how it made full computers more "phone-like", but with a little know-how one can package and install their own programs without it.

It's these subtle yet ground-breaking features and developments many seem to overlook.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

yourepicfailure wrote:Windows 8 introduced, among all others, a very early attempt at UWP aka WinRT (Windows RunTime 8.x).
No longer did programs have to be recompiled for different architectures or optimized for others. In addition, their sandboxed nature grants further security. Most people like to bash the Store (the primary distribution source) and how it made full computers more "phone-like", but with a little know-how one can package and install their own programs without it.

It's these subtle yet ground-breaking features and developments many seem to overlook.
The Store seems Microsoft turning Windows into a ecosystem for both computers and phones.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

YueLing11 wrote:
DragonWars wrote: from a technical point of view, 8.0 (and 8.1) is better than both 7 and 10
8.0 is even worse. The shutdown button is hidden under the Settings charm. Every other OSes like Linux and Mac have a easily see shutdown button, but I can't believe what do Microsoft think of this in Windows 8. Windows 8.1 Update 1 finally added the much requested Power button to the Start screen, so you no longer having trouble finding shutdown button.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

DragonWars wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
DragonWars wrote: from a technical point of view, 8.0 (and 8.1) is better than both 7 and 10
Technical? After Windows 8 rolled out, many users asked how to shut down their computer. It was difficult to find. It's result in the release of a cottage industry of 3rd party Start menu programs.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

YueLing11 wrote:
DragonWars wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
Technical? After Windows 8 rolled out, many users asked how to shut down their computer. It was difficult to find. It's result in the release of a cottage industry of 3rd party Start menu programs.
Everybody has an opinion. Duh.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

YueLing11 wrote:
DragonWars wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
Not sure if you got the memo - DragonWars didn't even talk about any shutdown buttons at all. You sure love to derail topics, don't you...
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!