Scans from Cellphone and upload

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
ralts123

Scans from Cellphone and upload

Post by ralts123 »

Hello guys:

This question is more for mrpijey, i want to contribuit with somethin new for the FTP, i saw the Contribuiton Guide, and my question is:

With my FTP account, i just create a new folder with my nickname and upload it there?
The scans are from my cellphone too, so i creat the artwork scans in JPG, the exact file that creates the cellphone, dont worry, they have a really good quality.

Thank you for you patience.

Sotirisdim4

Re: Scans from Cellphone and upload

Post by Sotirisdim4 »

Go here https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/servers/, click on update permissions, you should see an upload folder on your folders list, upload your contributions there.
Torturing Windows is my favorite pastime :evil:

I like to push hardware and software to its limits *hehe*

Virtual machines for the win!

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

The scans need to be in PNG format. I'm not sure if there are exceptions to this rule. What phone do you use?

ralts123

Post by ralts123 »

Iphone 8

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

iPhones take pictures in JPEG format. I have an iPhone 2G, 3GS, 5, and a 7. I also have an iPad 2017 and an iPod Touch 6th gen, and they all use the JPEG format.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Most phones take photos in JPEG. I believe some high-end phones can also optionally save the raw data.

Artwork "scans" taken by a phone tend to be rejected due to their low quality. I don't mean this to discourage you. Try asking at school or at a library if you don't have a scanner.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

I see a lot of guesswork here.... people, read the guide. It's why it is there.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

mrpijey wrote:Making proper scans of my media, artwork and documentation

[...]

--------

If you do not own a scanner you need to take reference pictures with a digital camera or good cellphone. To make these pictures acceptable you need to follow the following guidelines:
  • Clean all surfaces. Clean all the media and cover surfaces as well as your background surface. Grime, hair and dust is of no use.
  • Use the highest resolution of the camera. We're not interested in grainy low quality facebook-esque pictures. All the text on the media should be easily readable.
  • Take out any paper covers from the casings. No plastic casings in the photo unless the artwork is printed directly on it.
  • Use a clean white background. Use a white flat sheet of printer paper. Any completely white background works but be sure it's flat and without a glossy surface to reduce reflections from the photos.
  • Use proper light. Using a regular ceiling lamp creates a lot of reflections and glare, if possible take your photos in natural daylight or use an indirectional light source.
  • Center your artwork. Put the disc and covers in the center of the white background and photo directly from above to reduce any angles. Don't cut off any sides.
  • Photograph everything. Take photos of all covers (front and back), front manuals etc. The more the better.
  • Review your result!. Make sure your photos are not blurry, smudgy or in any way bad quality wise.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

ralts123 wrote:Hello guys:

This question is more for mrpijey, i want to contribuit with somethin new for the FTP, i saw the Contribuiton Guide, and my question is:

With my FTP account, i just create a new folder with my nickname and upload it there?
The scans are from my cellphone too, so i creat the artwork scans in JPG, the exact file that creates the cellphone, dont worry, they have a really good quality.

Same here, scanner's fuse is blown, and the only devices I have which have a camera take pics in jpg. At least it is readable.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

MCpillager12 wrote:
ralts123 wrote:Hello guys:

Same here, scanner's fuse is blown, and the only devices I have which have a camera take pics in jpg. At least it is readable.
A fuse replacement isn't really that hard of a thing - if you know what you're doing.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Basically, high dpi scans are preferable but if the picture looks good, and the rest of the guidelines were followed correctly, it will probably be accepted.
Offtopic Comment
ATeamInc wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:Same here, scanner's fuse is blown, and the only devices I have which have a camera take pics in jpg. At least it is readable.
A fuse replacement isn't really that hard of a thing - if you know what you're doing.
But it can be if you don't have the right fuse lying around, or the fuse is unlabled, or in a hard/impossible to reachplace, or it's soldered on to the board, or it's built in to the sealed power brick, or it's part of a chip and you don't know which, or if it requires a new bulb that costs more than a new scanner, or if it isn't even a blown fuse but something else, or if you just have better things to do with your time.