Windows 94?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Lucas Brooks

Windows 94?

Post by Lucas Brooks »

OK, I was trying to get Chicago 90c installed with Windows 3.1 to use the WIN31.EXE program. I started the installation and stopped it because I chose to upgrade where I want it to be installed in the CHICAGO folder. I rebooted from Windows 3.1 and started the installation again, this time I decided to use the custom setup and this dialogue caught my attention:

Was Chicago meant to be called Windows 94?

Please don't kill me and I am too afraid of you guys say I faked it (I did not).

Battler
Donator

Re: Windows 94?

Post by Battler »

With the planned release date then still being some point in 1994, Windows 94 makes sense. And yes, that message box is real.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

This particular string is only present in build 90c. In build 99, "Windows 94" was replaced with plain "Chicago", while 81 doesn't seem to have this dialog at all.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

It seems Windows 94 is actually another name for Windows Cairo, a Windows code name from 1993 that would later be known as Windows NT 4.0. Because when I searched "Windows 94" on Wikipedia, it redirected me to "Cairo (operating system)". Or is that false?
ComputerHunter wrote:Please don't kill me and I am too afraid of you guys say I faked it (I did not).
Why makes you think you would get attacked just because you ask about certain Windows versions that may be fake or not? You know that's what most of us are here for :)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

JonathonWyble wrote:It seems Windows 94 is actually another name for Windows Cairo, a Windows code name from 1993 that would later be known as Windows NT 4.0. Because when I searched "Windows 94" on Wikipedia, it redirected me to "Cairo (operating system)". Or is that false?
That's a pure assumption. Also for the record, Cairo has nothing in common with the Windows NT 4.0 we got.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

AlphaBeta wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:It seems Windows 94 is actually another name for Windows Cairo, a Windows code name from 1993 that would later be known as Windows NT 4.0. Because when I searched "Windows 94" on Wikipedia, it redirected me to "Cairo (operating system)". Or is that false?
That's a pure assumption. Also for the record, Cairo has nothing in common with the Windows NT 4.0 we got.
Oh. Well I thought they say that Cairo was associated with the early development of NT 4. But yeah, Cairo was never fully released, so that's sort of a coincidence.

.NETLover3790

Post by .NETLover3790 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Well I wouldn't say Cairo has nothing to do with the NT4 we got.The "Cairo" shell from Windows 95 ended up in NT4, and Cairo was always intended to be a version of Windows NT. I'd consider Windows NT 4.0 to be a cut-down version of Cairo, like Vista ended up as a cut-down version of the 2002/2003-era "Longhorn" concept. OFS was dropped, but the Cairo shell came through.

Also, Windows 94 makes sense, as these were the following preliminary names for Windows 95.
- Windows 4.0
- Windows 93
- Windows 94

winnt32
Permanently Banned

Post by winnt32 »

That "Cairo Shell" you're talking about was forked off of Cairo around December 1992 by the Windows 95 team and heavily modified before shipping in win95 and being put back into Windows NT. So that isn't the Cairo Shell, it's a descendant of it

Also, we do have a Cairo build. 1175. Not NT4 1175, as it has OFS and stuff.

.NETLover3790

Post by .NETLover3790 »

winnt32 wrote:That "Cairo Shell" you're talking about was forked off of Cairo around December 1992 by the Windows 95 team and heavily modified before shipping in win95 and being put back into Windows NT. So that isn't the Cairo Shell, it's a descendant of it

Also, we do have a Cairo build. 1175. Not NT4 1175, as it has OFS and stuff.
I always assumed that NT4 was still a product of the development work that led up to Cairo, and that Cairo build 1175 was a fork of NT4 1175 with the Cairo components like OFS. So I'll agree that Cairo != NT4 but NT4 is based on some of Cairo's ideas, and that Cairo used some NT4 tech.