Install Longhorn 4093 on real hardware?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
nar002

Install Longhorn 4093 on real hardware?

Post by nar002 »

So I was bored and decided to try to install 4093 on a laptop I had around (Latitude 620) but can't seem to boot past the "Windows Preinstallation Environment" boot, does anyone know a way to boot past it? Thanks!

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Install Longhorn 4093 on real hardware?

Post by yourepicfailure »

Because that laptop is sata and longhorn does not boot on sata without f6 drivers.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

nar002

Post by nar002 »

yourepicfailure wrote:Because that laptop is sata and longhorn does not boot on sata without f6 drivers.
Damn, weird though I tried booting it on a laptop that was made for windows 98 beforehand and I got the same result, and that one definitely wasn't sata! How do I inject or use f6 drivers though?

yourepicfailure
Donator

The only thing is if your d620 is one of the models without ahci support. Even though it's sata, many d620s still ran under ata compatibility mode by default. Check your bios.
If you want drivers, find the floppy module and load the appropriate mass-storage drivers onto a floppy. I use the floppy module off my d600 and connect through usb.
You'll still need to modify the registry offline of the install to add the drivers as well. More trouble than it's worth because you need a working XP install to export the keys from.

4093 is a buggy build. Just leave it on its own and sometimes it'll boot.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

nar002

Post by nar002 »

yourepicfailure wrote:The only thing is if your d620 is one of the models without ahci support. Even though it's sata, many d620s still ran under ata compatibility mode by default. Check your bios.
If you want drivers, find the floppy module and load the appropriate mass-storage drivers onto a floppy. I use the floppy module off my d600 and connect through usb.
You'll still need to modify the registry offline of the install to add the drivers as well. More trouble than it's worth because you need a working XP install to export the keys from.

4093 is a buggy build. Just leave it on its own and sometimes it'll boot.
Yeah apparently it doesn't have an option in the BIOS and runs in IDE by default. Would that be a reason why it's not booting? I would've thought that it'd work better with IDE since if I remember correctly XP only worked with that at first?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Then just boot it and wait. May need to do f5 when it prompts f6 and choose standard pc if it can.

Remember 4093 is not the most stable and it may not boot ever.

nar002

Post by nar002 »

yourepicfailure wrote:Then just boot it and wait. May need to do f5 when it prompts f6 and choose standard pc if it can.

Remember 4093 is not the most stable and it may not boot ever.
Yeah honestly I want to install it just for the hell of it, just because it's such a weird build, with all the features that never made it in and made it unstable and all. Seems pretty interesting

yourepicfailure
Donator

I would suggest swapping the PE with 4033's PE (removing sources from a 4033 iso and replacing it with 4093's) or using LHPacket if you must.

I see no problem if your laptop is an IDE only model, other than the chance for ACPI incompatibility.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

Could you install Windows XP first, then upgrade to build 4033? Of course, make sure to install the drivers needed to run Windows properly like graphics and chipset drivers.

yourepicfailure
Donator

gtgamer468 wrote:Could you install Windows XP first, then upgrade to build 4033?
No because setup will not allow you to upgrade from Xp or any pre-wim build.

nar002

Post by nar002 »

So I succeeded in installing it with Longhorn Packet, but it refuses to boot past the boot screen and I'm not quite sure what I could do to help it now, any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: Well I tried on another laptop, but now it's hanging in the setup after copying everything to the hard drive and I'm not sure why since cmd says nothing. I'm not sure what to do!

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

nar002 wrote:So I succeeded in installing it with Longhorn Packet, but it refuses to boot past the boot screen and I'm not quite sure what I could do to help it now, any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: Well I tried on another laptop, but now it's hanging in the setup after copying everything to the hard drive and I'm not sure why since cmd says nothing. I'm not sure what to do!
Try safe mode if it doesn't boot (f8). If all else fails, extract the wim using xImage 4059 (boot a disk to cmd, apply the image to the disk) and then set up/repair the bootloader.

nar002

Post by nar002 »

giantsteen wrote:
nar002 wrote:So I succeeded in installing it with Longhorn Packet, but it refuses to boot past the boot screen and I'm not quite sure what I could do to help it now, any ideas? Thanks!

Try safe mode if it doesn't boot (f8). If all else fails, extract the wim using xImage 4059 (boot a disk to cmd, apply the image to the disk) and then set up/repair the bootloader.

I'll try it out, but I thought safe mode was broken in these builds? I guess I'll see!

EDIT: Yeah definitely broken, gives a BSOD when you try it. I'm not sure how to deploy a WIM too, so I'm kinda stuck! Any guide to doing so?