Windows Codename Memphis Build 1525 in 86Box

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
SupernovaNick

Windows Codename Memphis Build 1525 in 86Box

Post by SupernovaNick »

I am trying to install Windows Codename Memphis build 1525 (Beta 1) in 86Box. However, after I partition and format the disk with a bootdisk and run setup from the CD, I immediately get this error:

After exiting:

I tried both FAT and FAT32 partitions but neither one works.
I also tried upgrading from an earlier build (specifically build 1353) but setup crashes after performing an illegal operation.
Does anyone else get this problem? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

P.S. I believe this or something similar has prevented me from installing build 1525 in Virtual PC.

BF10

Re: Windows Codename Memphis Build 1525 in 86Box

Post by BF10 »

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_98_bu ... stallation

There is actually a bug on 15xx builds where if you don't replace winsetup.bin with one from an earlier build or the RTM on some virtualization software, setup can crash.

BetaWiki contributor.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Well, it's due to improper segment limit emulation generally speaking.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

As TheCollector1988 said, this is an emulator bug. It is already fixed on my end, but has not been committed yet. It's caused by some instructions not having segment limit checks when they should have.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

BF10 wrote:https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_98_bu ... stallation

There is actually a bug on 15xx builds where if you don't replace winsetup.bin with one from an earlier build or the RTM on some virtualization software, setup can crash.
It does work if I use a WINSETUP.BIN from an earlier build (I used WINSETUP.BIN from build 1353), but unfortunately, the setup is now just like the build 1353 setup and not the build 1525 setup.

Also, BetaWiki says:
The setup on this build has a WINSETUP.BIN that isn't recognized by setup all the time and causes setup to crash on most emulators except Microsoft Virtual PC, 86Box, VARCem, and some versions of VMware, due to incorrect emulation of the segment limits of their CPU core.
Yet I am using 86Box and it does not work. (Or does build 1500 work in 86Box while build 1525 does not?)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

As Battler said, this has been fixed, but the fix hasn't been committed yet, which means that any Jenkins builds are still affected by this bug (which also affects windisk in 58s iirc).
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Oh I guess that is why I had problems with Preliminary Release builds of Windows Codename Chicago, which I explained in this post: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 60&t=39757

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

No, that's unrelated.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Is it at all possible for me to edit the WINSETUP.BIN file to make it work in 86Box?
I cannot open/extract WINSETUP.BIN on my computer (I tried UltraISO, WinImage, and 7-Zip) because it is "corrupt".

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

SupernovaNick wrote:Is it at all possible for me to edit the WINSETUP.BIN file to make it work in 86Box?
I cannot open/extract WINSETUP.BIN on my computer (I tried UltraISO, WinImage, and 7-Zip) because it is "corrupt".
It's not even a ISO file, it's a NE 16-bit executable. Also, you can't edit unless you know some programming, and anyway, just wait for the commit.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

Ok, thanks.

I tried the image programs I listed because they recognize .BIN files (except for 7-Zip. I just tried that because it can extract certain image files like .ISO and .IMG). They just say the WINSETUP.BIN from the CD is corrupt.

EDIT: I did figure out a temporary solution to install 15xx builds without using a different WINSETUP.BIN: Begin the setup in VMware Workstation on a pre-allocated .VMDK, then after the first reboot, shut down, then convert the .VMDK to a .IMA with WinImage, and then continue the setup on 86Box.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

UPDATE: It seems the fix was committed. I can now install build 1525 in 86Box.
Thanks to whoever fixed it and updated 86Box. :)