Is there a web browser for windows 1.0/2.0?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
EvanKTC

Is there a web browser for windows 1.0/2.0?

Post by EvanKTC »

Just want to know if it exists
Dell Inspiron 5379
Intel i5-8250U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD + 2TB External HDD
Two 1920x1080 monitors
Kubuntu 21.10

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Re: Is there a web browser for windows 1.0/2.0?

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

As far as I know, there wasn’t a browser until Windows 95, but you could buy the Jumpstart kit for WFW 3.1 I believe in 1995-96.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

EvanKTC

Post by EvanKTC »

Yeah but Internet explorer versions up to ie5 suppored 3.1, there are also a few web browsers for dos
Dell Inspiron 5379
Intel i5-8250U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD + 2TB External HDD
Two 1920x1080 monitors
Kubuntu 21.10

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

No.             
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

No. I don't believe there are any internet drivers than can work in Windows 1.0-3.0.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

So you access databases in different ways? Like with the Gopher protocol?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I'm pretty sure networking on Windows before version 3.1 was usually done via an MS-DOS network, possibly MS-NET, or via NetWare.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

More like, before Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Windows 3.1 and even Windows for Workgroups 3.1 still heavily relied on MS-DOS network drivers.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

SebOno

Post by SebOno »

Nope. Windows 1.x and 2.x were only based on top of MS-DOS. They didn't have a proper GUI. The first Windows version to have a proper GUI was Windows 3.0.
This user has left BetaArchive.

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

gtgamer468 wrote:So you access databases in different ways? Like with the Gopher protocol?
What databases?
SebOno wrote:Nope. Windows 1.x and 2.x were only based on top of MS-DOS. They didn't have a proper GUI. The first Windows version to have a proper GUI was Windows 3.0.
What does the GUI have to do with it?

I'm not even aware of any web browsers for Windows 3.0 although it would have been technically possible. As mentioned, networking stacks were all DOS based until WFWG/95/NT. Usually one would need a Winsock.dll implementation that interfaced with the DOS networking stack, but in theory Win 1.x/2.x programs could probably cheat and talk directly to the DOS stack if they had to.

When web browsers were brand new, Windows 1 and 2 were already "old", and with their 640k memory limitations would have been impractical.

Of course, one could always create a serial/modem (or telnet using DOSBox) Windows Terminal connection to a Linux system and browse using Lynx.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

SebOno wrote:Nope. Windows 1.x and 2.x were only based on top of MS-DOS. They didn't have a proper GUI.
How did Windows 1.x and 2.x not have a proper GUI? Could you please elaborate?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

And as JustZisGuy said, it's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Web browsers exist for text based environments as well. In fact, it would be interesting to try and run a browser for DOS under Windows 1.0.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

BetaNewbie

Post by BetaNewbie »

I guess the closest thing is terminal emulators that connects to BBSes with a dialup modem.

Moline

Post by Moline »

Sure, if you have time to rework Windows 1.0/2.0 to include modern LAN support. You'd need to find a modern equivalent to a 1.0/2.0 LAN driver so, if you're running an 80's HP desktop, you'd just go to the HP website, find a LAN driver, and then edit it so it can install under 1.0/2.0. You would then need to edit the other networking components as well. Once that hurdle is cleared, you would then need to edit an internet browser to work. Once that is cleared, you could then run the internet from 1.0/2.0. Keep in mind, this is going to take a lot of work to pull off, and is highly unlikely to be achieved. If you are somehow able to pull this of, you just made history. If you want to do this, you better get started on the research, and you will probably need resource hacker and a hex editor among other things.

TI-Man

Post by TI-Man »

Doesn't PythonD have some kind of weird net support, even in DOS mode?

also pretty sure DOS LAN drivers exist.

Yup, this article was written in '96. This kind of thing was possible.

Browsers, however, also exist for DOS. One even runs in graphics mode, so it may be callable in 2.0 either stock or with a little work,and SHOULD work with 3.1.

winnt32
Permanently Banned

Post by winnt32 »

Write your own LAN support, network stack, and browser, and then there will be! ;)

zde

Post by zde »

gtgamer468 wrote:So you access databases in different ways? Like with the Gopher protocol?
While people often like to think about Gopher as "Older text Web"... it's actually younger sibling.

World Wide Web was created in 1989 while Gopher was made in 1991. But that's not the important thing. The important thing is TCP/IP support. It was added to LAN Manager 2.0 and to Windows 3.0 in 1990. In fact Windows 3.0 does not even come with TCP/IP support - it was actually added by third-party developers (look for Trumpet Winsock)!

Before that all PC networks used their own, proprietary protocols: VIP (the VINES Internetwork Protocol), IPX (that one was used by Netware), NBF (NetBIOS Frames) and other.

In fact LANs were extremely common back then, but WANs were extremely rare. People used BBS and Compuserve (look for README files for old Borland products - there are always mention of Compuserve and never anything like a web site).

And LANs play by entirely different rules: you have system administrator there, s/he could install software on all computers in network... but there are no common protocol to follow! No need for browser.

Avery

Post by Avery »

Nope. Windows 1.0 wasn't bundled with any software. It was just like the skin on top of your skeleton.
TIme to make OpenNT 4.0, something better.

Developing NewNT.

Digger

Post by Digger »

Avery wrote:Nope. Windows 1.0 wasn't bundled with any software. It was just like the skin on top of your skeleton.
It came with some pretty useful apps though, like a clock and calculator :)