What's the difference between 86box and PCem?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
windowsio
Donator

What's the difference between 86box and PCem?

Post by windowsio »

Hi!
I just want to know what difference there is between 86box and PCem. I myself use PCem for emulation but thinking about switching.
Thanks
windowsio
Perkele

Overdoze

Re: What's the difference between 86box and PCem?

Post by Overdoze »

86Box is a fork of PCem, thought the two have diverged quite a bit by now. It's got a different UI, additional hardware options, some parts were rewritten for better accuracy (8088 emulation I believe). The virtual machine manager part is separate and completely optional in 86Box, it's a simple program I made called 86Box Manager. The 86Box team is small, but usually makes smaller commits and dev builds available on a regular basis, so you can get fixes and new features faster without having to compile the thing yourself.

If you're interested, see the website where you'll find additional links.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

windowsio
Donator

Post by windowsio »

All right, thanks for explaining
Perkele

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

I like 86box's scaling better while PCem does something wrong and at least the font looks weird. Try as I might I couldn't fix it. Another thing worthy of mention is that 86box supports Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk (IMD) and TeleDisk (TD0) formats. Though when it comes to copy protection PCE seems to handle it better, but I hope that will be fixed soon as I have already requested a little patching on 86box github.