How to get the “ X Edition” branding/bars back in Windows XP

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

How to get the “ X Edition” branding/bars back in Windows XP

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

I preferred the “Home Edition” branding along with the green bars. Any way to get it back?
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Windows OS

Re: How to get the “ X Edition” branding/bars back in Window

Post by Windows OS »

You mean the boot screen? It might be possible to use Resource Hacker to replace its bitmap with the RTM/SP1 one, but I haven't personally tried that, so your results may vary.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

ntoskrnl.exe

Grab it from old versions of XP and replace the boot screen.

Chromium909

Post by Chromium909 »

Does anybody know why Microsoft changed it in the first place? It seems like something that wouldn't need to be changed but it was anyway.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Tbh I prefer to look at the boot screen rather than wait for Windows XP to hurry it’s a** up to look it up in the system properties
DV

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

I tried that and it didn’t work. Any other idea?
DV

AlejHerrBar2k3

Post by AlejHerrBar2k3 »

Chromium909 wrote:Does anybody know why Microsoft changed it in the first place? It seems like something that wouldn't need to be changed but it was anyway.
According to Microsoft themselves (in a Help article I've read years ago), this might have been done to maintain a consistent boot screen within other editions of Windows XP besides Home Edition and Professional (e.g., Media Center and Tablet PC editions). Maybe that would've been a reason, as Microsoft might've not wanted those editions' users to end up having the boot screen for Professional instead of the ones for those specific editions to avoid confusion. This might have also helped Microsoft not create boot screens for the european N and Starter editions.

A similar thing happened with Windows Server 2003: it has only one boot screen for every single edition (just like Windows 2000 with its "Server Family" logo), without any indication of its SKU below the logo. But hey, at least the progress indicator color is changed!
Alejandro J. Herrera Barboza, 16, from Costa Rica

superlions16

Post by superlions16 »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:I tried that and it didn’t work. Any other idea?
Windows XP RTM/SP1 use a separate bitmap for the SKU name. XP SP2 does not use that and I'm not even sure if there's a way to restore it.
Try modifying the bootscreen to have the SKU name where it was in SP1 on the same bitmap where the Windows XP logo and copyright text is. (Bitmap 1 in reshacker, which appears all black due to color palettes)
Nothing to post here.