BSOD when installing Windows NT 4.0

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
MCpillager12

BSOD when installing Windows NT 4.0

Post by MCpillager12 »

I was trying to install windows NT 4.0 in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, but i got KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD. :cry:

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .91886.jpg
Here are my VM specs:
384MB RAM
4GB HDD

Here are my host specs:
Windows Vista SP2 x64
2GB RAM
Intel Atom @ 1.83GHz
298GB HDD

Does anyone know how to fix this? Don't tell me to use 86box, because it is giving me some error when trying to open it.

EDIT: It says that

Code: Select all

ntoskrnl.exe
is the culprit. The BSOD appears before the "Welcome to setup" message, but after loading the drivers.
EDIT2: It has something to do with Windows NT 4.0, i got Windows 2000 running successfully in Virtual PC 2007.
Last edited by MCpillager12 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Re: BSOD when installing Windows NT 4.0

Post by WILSON2bGg »

I think your issue is that the Intel Atom you most likely have doesn't support virtualization. I'd look here (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... essor.html) for your CPU, then look to see if it supports virtualization.
Hey what's up

BF10

Post by BF10 »

MCpillager12 wrote:Don't tell me to use 86box, because it is giving me some error when trying to open it.
If that error is that a driver file is missing, you need to install the DirectX runtime before loading 86Box.

BetaWiki contributor.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Download the dll file. You don't deed to install anything.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

ComputerHunter wrote:Download the dll file. You don't deed to install anything.
I'm not on my computer right now, but I'll try.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

It is d3dx9_43.dll. You can grab it here: https://www.dll-files.com/d3dx9_43.dll.html

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

BF10 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:Don't tell me to use 86box, because it is giving me some error when trying to open it.
If that error is that a driver file is missing, you need to install the DirectX runtime before loading 86Box.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

You need to put d3dx9_43.dll in the 86Box directory.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Install the DirectX 9 redistributable instead of downloading the DLL from shady sources, it's just as easy and you won't get infected by by Russian-speaking malware. Not to say it most likely depends on other DirectX libraries included in the redist. I don't think the 86Box team is going to support setups with such DLL hackjobs either.
Last edited by AlphaBeta on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

AlphaBeta wrote:Install the DirectX 9 redistributable instead of downloading the DLL from shady sources, it's just as easy and you won't get infected by by Russian-speaking malware. Not to say it most likely depends on other DirectX libraries included in the redist. I don't think the 86Box team is going to support setups with such DLL hackjobs either.
Anyways, i'll use PCem, my connection is slow.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

AlphaBeta, have you tried downloading it? It works for all 86Box versions and it is the only library needed.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ComputerHunter wrote:AlphaBeta, have you tried downloading it? It works for all 86Box versions and it is the only library needed.
So does the runtime. What's your point?

It still does not change the fact it's pretty much discouraged from downloading DLLs from such download sites for a very good reason.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Yes, but what if you are using it as a portable app? That is what I do and installing the runtime doesn't work. You know the fact it is hard to modify a file but retain the valid signature without Microsoft's cert and key.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:Yes, but what if you are using it as a portable app? That is what I do and installing the runtime doesn't work. You know the fact it is hard to modify a file but retain the valid signature without Microsoft's cert and key.
86Box has no installation, so it always works like a portable app. Wherever you put it, you can run it, as long as it can use DirectX libraries.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

That is why to download a DLL file and put it into the 86Box directory.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

WILSON2bGg wrote:I think your issue is that the Intel Atom you most likely have doesn't support virtualization. I'd look here (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... essor.html) for your CPU, then look to see if it supports virtualization.
It is happening in the VM, not the host.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

MCpillager12 wrote:
WILSON2bGg wrote:I think your issue is that the Intel Atom you most likely have doesn't support virtualization. I'd look here (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... essor.html) for your CPU, then look to see if it supports virtualization.
try slipstreaming SP6 first.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

roytam1 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
It is a checked version I downloaded from WinWorld. The non-checked ISO has sp1, but I heard it is corrupted.

SebOno

Post by SebOno »

Try an upgrade from NT 3.5x.
This user has left BetaArchive.

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

MCpillager12 wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
It is a checked version I downloaded from WinWorld. The non-checked ISO has sp1, but I heard it is corrupted.
WinWorld's non-check debug NT 4.0 SP1 ISO is not corrupted.

Tested it multiple times and it works fine.

Which edition are you trying to test? Server or Workstation?

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
WinWorld's non-check debug NT 4.0 SP1 ISO is not corrupted.

Tested it multiple times and it works fine.

Which edition are you trying to test? Server or Workstation?
I am using workstation.

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

I assure you that the Workstation SP1 ISO on WinWorld is not corrupted and that you can run it in Virtual PC 2007 just fine.
Last edited by Windows Thunderstruck on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

AlphaBeta wrote:Install the DirectX 9 redistributable instead of downloading the DLL from shady sources, it's just as easy and you won't get infected by by Russian-speaking malware. Not to say it most likely depends on other DirectX libraries included in the redist. I don't think the 86Box team is going to support setups with such DLL hackjobs either.
BF10 wrote:

If you look closely at the first screenie, it shows that I am using DirectX 10.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Download the DLL!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

ComputerHunter wrote:Download the DLL!
There is a very good reason why not to download the DLL seperately, they contain viruses.

Anyways, does the DirectX9 redistributable have the DLL in the files?

EDIT: downloading just the DLL does not work, it still gives the error. but after installing the redistributable, it works.
Last edited by MCpillager12 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.