Windows NT 3.1 Build 340 Processor Error

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
SupernovaNick

Windows NT 3.1 Build 340 Processor Error

Post by SupernovaNick »

I am trying to install Windows NT 3.1 Build 340 both Workstation and Server in 86Box. I am doing both with the floppy disk versions since the CD verson of the Server edition has not been leaked yet. However, when the GUI stage begins I get the error: "Setup cannot install on the current processor. Cannot proceed with install." I know that before you begin the GUI stage you must boot with a boot disk and change the line "STF_PROCESSOR = "" ? $(!LIBHANDLE) GetProcessor" to "STF_PROCESSOR = "" ? $(ProcessorID_I586)" in INITIAL.INF and SETUP.INF in order to fix this, but with the floppy disk version, you don't have the chance to reboot with a boot disk (if you manually reboot after the first restart before the GUI stage, the setup will no longer boot to the setup and just boot to MS-DOS or whatever was on the hard disk before). I tried extracting the INITIAL.INF and SETUP.INF files from the hard disk image (the files on the disks are full of glitched code) and edited them with the lines from above and put them onto disks 5 and 6 which contain these files with the extensions .IN$ (i had to increase the size of the disks to make them fit), but setup sees a problem with the edited disks and cannot continue.

Does anyone know a fix to this? Is there a processor that 86Box emulates that is compatible with this build?

Thanks

BF10

Re: Windows NT 3.1 Build 340 Processor Error

Post by BF10 »

I have managed to get this build to work on PCem/86Box a 486 processor. Try using any 486 processor.

BetaWiki contributor.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Files on the installation disks are compressed with the usual SZDD algorithm that Microsoft used in the early 90s. You can use the expand utility for either DOS or Windows to decompress those, make the changes, and then compress them back with the compress utility. Maybe that will work.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

How does the compress utility work? I am able to run expand in my command prompt to expand INITIAL.IN$ AND SETUP.IN$ and edit those files but how do I compress them?

Also I tried running it on a 486 compatible BIOS (AMI WinBIOS 486) instead of the BIOS I usually use (Award 430VX PCI) but setup hangs on a black screen with the little blinking DOS cursor when it should reboot to begin the GUI stage.

Also in case anyone noticed, I did make a typo in my first post. I put "STF_PROCESSOR = "" ? $(ProcessorID_I586)" as the new line but I meant to put "STF_PROCESSOR = $(ProcessorID_I586)". I didn't make this mistake in the files.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Compress has a /? switch for usage info. It works the same way as expand, just in reverse, you give it an uncompressed file first and the target filename second.

I tried this quickly yesterday and it didn't seem to work. Apparently using a 486 (not DX2 though) with no mods works best.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

The compress command does not work for me on either a DOS emulation/VM or on my Windows command prompt. Neither one recognizes it as a command.
:?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Because it's not a command, it's a program that you can find online.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

It is an external command, you will have to get the executable to your working directory then run the it.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

I got it. I managed to get compress.exe with Windows Resource Kits and use it to compress INITIAL.IN$ and SETUP.IN$. Now the build works perfectly.

Thanks for your help!