[REQUEST] Compaq Presario S3200NX Recovery Media

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
longhornwhistler
Donator

[REQUEST] Compaq Presario S3200NX Recovery Media

Post by longhornwhistler »

I bought this computer yesterday at an estate sale and don't have any recovery media for it since the hard drive was taken out. Not sure if any recovery media exists but I figure it's worth a shot.

(Yes, I know I could just install XP Home Edition, but I prefer the recovery media when possible)

Thanks!
Gabe
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

JonathonWyble

Re: [REQUEST] Compaq Presario S3200NX Recovery Media

Post by JonathonWyble »

Recovery media isn't really allowed here, as it's practically useless because it requires specific hardware that not a lot of people may have. But it seems you're asking for a copy of a recovery disc for a Compaq Presario S3200NX just for yourself, so I guess that's fine.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

It also came in Windows XP Home Edition, so it's totally fine to request this media. Anyways, have you already checked archive.org's software collection? It might be there as people upload things there all the time.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

JonathonWyble wrote:Recovery media isn't really allowed here, as it's practically useless because it requires specific hardware that not a lot of people may have. But it seems you're asking for a copy of a recovery disc for a Compaq Presario S3200NX just for yourself, so I guess that's fine.
Recovery media is usually not accepted into the ftp, but anyone is allowed and encouraged to share on the forums through third party sites like archive.org
It can be very useful for anyone with similar hardware, or anyone else who just wants a nostalgia trip.
If you have some, chances are it would be very appreciated if it was shared!

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

MrBurgerKing wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:Recovery media isn't really allowed here, as it's practically useless because it requires specific hardware that not a lot of people may have. But it seems you're asking for a copy of a recovery disc for a Compaq Presario S3200NX just for yourself, so I guess that's fine.
Recovery media is usually not accepted into the ftp, but anyone is allowed and encouraged to share on the forums through third party sites like archive.org
It can be very useful for anyone with similar hardware, or anyone else who just wants a nostalgia trip.
Yeah, I do see a bunch of recovery sets on the Internet Archive. I actually do have a couple recovery discs laying around, and I was a little devastated when I found out that I couldn't contribute them to the FTP. Of course, that was way before I got FTP access here :P

DonaltDuck

Post by DonaltDuck »

MrBurgerKing wrote:...
it isn't generel true
some spetial kind of recovery media exist also on FTP

eg.
\(Abandonware) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft Windows ME\4.90.3000_x86fre_client_pl-pl [NTT OEM]\

this is ME type 121 (oem recovery)

type 121 is a microsoft type (recocery type) for oem vendors

it depend on the media itself if allowed or not

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

Going back into topic, like others myself included, check out the archive.org site and it's software collection. I always see a ton of oem recovery media sets being hosted over there.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

DonaltDuck wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:...
it isn't generel true
some spetial kind of recovery media exist also on FTP

eg.
\(Abandonware) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft Windows ME\4.90.3000_x86fre_client_pl-pl [NTT OEM]\

this is ME type 121 (oem recovery)

type 121 is a microsoft type (recocery type) for oem vendors

it depend on the media itself if allowed or not
You're right! If you're talking about software and operating systems that have something like e.g. "(HP OEM)" tagged on it, then that's not exactly considered recovery media. I think that's just media that can work on any piece of hardware from any manufacturer, but it works best with a PC manufactured by the company which that disc is tagged. That type of media is allowed on the FTP, but media that is labeled something like e.g. "Windows XP Dell Reinstallation CD" is not.

DonaltDuck

Post by DonaltDuck »

maybe this is a little bit out of topic here
JonathonWyble wrote:...
You're right! If you're talking about software and operating systems that have something like e.g. "(HP OEM)" tagged on it, then that's not exactly considered recovery media. I think that's just media that can work on any piece of hardware from any manufacturer, but it works best with a PC manufactured by the company which that disc is tagged. That type of media is allowed on the FTP, but media that is labeled something like e.g. "Windows XP Dell Reinstallation CD" is not.
eg. ME Dell Recovery (English)
https://archive.org/details/windowsmedelloemcd
060D6BD01F89AF996BF93C96A35E7CEB17B69124 *[ENU] winME_121_recovery__cd1_DELL_18UPM-A00.iso

This is the same Microsoft ME type 121 recovery like
the polish NTT-System Ltd. on BA-FTP

-> this DELL_18UPM-A00.iso shuld also allowed on FTP

allowed or not allowed shoud be depend in the contend of the iso (and not from the cd-Picture or the lable)

if the iso is
- a standalone os recovery (reinstall) CD
- and include the original OEM setup files for the OS
-> shoud be allowed

if the iso
- need eg files from a hidden partition on the pc to work
- or dont include original OEM setup files for the OS
-> shoud be not allowed

Maybe this is a better distinction