BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 16h, 33m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 4976MB of 10943MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP
So I was just looking on ebay and saw some windows release candidates and betas and im thinking about maybe buying one. Would it be better to buy the beta or the release candidate cd's? Here are images:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:20 pm 
FTP Access

I think both beta and RC are worth buying to put in your collection.

What are you planning to do with those disks?

What builds can I see on those disks: 5384 and 5600 by the looks of it.

Last edited by Windows Thunderstruck on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP
Im planning to add the disks to my collection, and try and make them run and possibly install them on an old desktop computer I have which is currently running vista sp2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
JohnsterSpaceNT wrote:
Would it be better to buy the beta or the release candidate cd's?

Not really. If you want to have a physical copy of it for posterity or if you're a software collector (which judging by your other posts, it looks like you are one), then do so. But, otherwise, it'll just be easier and faster to download them from here or WinWorld or whatever if you're just here to experiment with them.

If you're trying to decide between the builds, neither is really "better". If you find a build that you want to buy on eBay, then if you want to, then buy it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm 

Favourite OS
Any Windows build
If you want something different, try the betas. However, if you're looking for something close to the final and more stable, try the release candidates.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
I'd personally go for the earlier build in this case, but it's up to you.

Offtopic Comment
They're both "betas"/"pre-releases".

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 pm 
FTP Access

Were Windows beta/RCs ever sold or put on discs? I thought they were only downloadable?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
nar002 wrote:
Were Windows beta/RCs ever sold or put on discs? I thought they were only downloadable?

The older ones (i.e. up to Windows Vista) were distributed physically on discs, as fast internet connections weren't common back then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
nar002 wrote:

There was a point in time when there was no internet. Then there was a point in time when there was internet, but the speed was extremely slow and thus useless for large file transfers. In both cases, physical media was the best way to distribute builds.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
Managers and other decision makers liked to have a nice shiny physical object. Microsoft was more than happy to oblige. A nice pretty box and disk placed in the right hands could dispel any ideas that the latest software might be vaporware, and it would show them that Microsoft was serious about their software.

But at some point, even the pointy haired bosses developed an allergy to physical media. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
That would definitely explain why leaks of older Microsoft projects like Chicago, or Neptune would be a such a big deal as they could have potentially been lost forever. I know Microsoft just dumps these old CDs and from there, could have ended be going to the landfill instead of hands of a person who's willing to share it to sites like this one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 am 
FTP Access

I think it depends. If there is a Neptune beta or Windows 1.0 DR1, then I would definitely buy them unless they are > $500. I won't buy any worthless stuff that I will throw away the next day. I only buy software or OS I actually use or something worth collecting and I can sell for profit (I don't want to waste my money just to buy a Vista beta when the shipping fee worth more).

If you have some money and want to buy a few discs for collection purposes, I would look at the rareness and availability of the product (e.g. I would buy an unleaked RC rather than a leaked beta).

If you want to keep it and wait for 20 years to sell them for profit, I suggest getting rare ones. RCs and DRs are generally more common than private betas and test builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:58 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
ComputerHunter wrote:
I think it depends. If there is a Neptune beta or Windows 1.0 DR1, then I would definitely buy them unless they are > $500. I won't buy any worthless stuff that I will throw away the next day. I only buy software or OS I actually use or something worth collecting and I can sell for profit

If you aren't willing to save Windows DR1 if you have the money, then wow.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is buying Betas or Release Candidates Better?        Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:09 am 
FTP Access

Do you work at a company and earn money? Do you know how much an average person earn? I will buy DR1 regardless if it pops up. You can't just spend your money on betas and software. Even if I have the money to buy real expensive betas, I need to consider does it worth it? If it is something like a Windows 1.x or 2.x beta, sure I will buy it if I can. If it is something like a Vista public beta, I probably won't.

You don't want to waste 500 bucks on something you not even going to use.

Top  Profile