[Request] Windows CE 1.0 - 4.0

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
JohnsterSpaceNT

[Request] Windows CE 1.0 - 4.0

Post by JohnsterSpaceNT »

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has or knows where to get windows CE (between 1.0 and 4.0 of CE) because i want to download it and try it out in a virtual machine and im having trouble finding those versions (and their iso's) online.
What Makes Old Versions Of Windows So Interesting And Fun To Try Nowadays? Nostalgia!

ImageImageImage

My WIP Software Archive Project: Microsoft MSDN Disc Software Archive!
:beta: https://archive.org/details/microsoft-m ... re-archive :cool:

pool7

Re: [Request] Windows CE 1.0 - 4.0

Post by pool7 »

AFAIK these were not released as standalone OS, but rather customized for each device.
IIRC you'd need the Platform Builder (or whatever it was called back in those versions) to build your own customized version.
Alternatively, you'll have to look for "firmware" from devices that used these versions; however they'll probably be somehow locked to the devices (ie. only having the drivers for the particular device, etc)
This is my understanding, so I may be wrong; hopefully someone else can confirm

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

Platform builder and the CEPC target is your best bet.

2.11, 3.0 and 4 something are out there.

1.0 was only released to OEM's, and as far as I know never made any wide release. That all changes with 2, which lacked things like high resolution VGA (320x200!!!!) or and IDE driver. 3.0 had better video, but still no IDE. I believe 4.x is much better.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

louisw3 wrote:Platform builder and the CEPC target is your best bet.

2.11, 3.0 and 4 something are out there
Well, 2.11 was given out at trade shows.

I've got a 60 day evaluation copy somewhere, which I've never even tried.

4 CDs for Platform Builder itself, and an extra one for "Platform Builder Guide".