BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 17h, 58m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5848MB of 11949MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Question:How do i change the setup text in Windows XP Setup?        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Server 2003 5.1 5.2
Hi, i was wondering how I could change during Windows XP Setup like for example.

A Exciting New Look

How can I change this to say something custom?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question:How do i change the setup text in Windows XP Se        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm 
Donator

The billboard text is stored within winntbb* files. There is a bunch of them and each of them is used for different setup scenarios:

• WINNTBBA.DLL is used for the initial upgrade stage when Setup is launched from Windows 9x
  • WINNTBBU.DLL is also used for the initial upgrade stage, but when launched from Windows NT
  • WINNTBBU.DL_ is identical to the previous file, but is compressed and is the one that gets copied and used during second-stage setup

The text is stored in the files as regular text string resources, so use your favorite resource editor to edit them. You'll most likely want to edit WINNTBBU, the Unicode version. You will also notice that the billboard text is typed a bit too awkwardly with each space being preceded by a pipe character, which seems to be a leftover from the Windows 98 billboards. I am not sure what would happen if one didn't escape the spaces with pipes, so make sure to do that.

I also think that i386 setup is going to pick up winntbbu.dll instead of winntbbu.dl_ if the later is missing, so you can just get rid of the compressed file and replace the uncompressed one with a customized version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question:How do i change the setup text in Windows XP Se        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 am 

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4050, 5112
AlphaBeta wrote:
You will also notice that the billboard text is typed a bit too awkwardly with each space being preceded by a pipe character, which seems to be a leftover from the Windows 98 billboards. I am not sure what would happen if one didn't escape the spaces with pipes, so make sure to do that.

I've removed the pipes before without any text/text formatting issues, so I think it's safe to delete them.

Top  Profile