Windows XP Installer Crashing

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Windows XP Installer Crashing

Post by JimOlive »

When trying to install Windows XP on a certain computer, booting from the disc, after the initial loading of files, and after "Setup is starting Windows", it works for 5 - 30 seconds, then crashes to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A). I've done it with and without the sound card, and with and without the PCI (or whatever) video card. This disc has worked on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400), and on this tower I got 98SE working, including sound (but I was stuck at 16 colour 640x480 for whatever reason), but XP SP3, which should be versatile, doesn't work. I also tried upgrading 98SE to XP, but got file copying errors, then error 589FF5CH. I think I've had XP on this machine in the past too. What is up?

The RAM is 1 GB (same as the aforementioned Inspiron 6400), CPU is 333 MHZ (very slow, I know, but the listed minimum is 233, recommended 300+). The DVD drive works; used it to install 98SE.

Lucas Brooks

Re: Windows XP Installer Crashing

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I see no reason for it not to work but what is the Windows XP version you are trying to install? Also, getting an OEM disc might help.

aaaaalex

Post by aaaaalex »

Looks like either your Windows installation disc is bad or you have some bad RAM. Try another disk or use Memtest86+ to see if you have memory errors.

sylweksylwina

Post by sylweksylwina »

I dont think so that 0x0000000A is caused by broken installation disc. It's probably hardware issue.
Whats your mainboard?
Try clearing CMOS, do memory test. Or... maybe GPU is broken (you said that it was stuck with 640x480 - did you install any drivers?).
Also, look for bulged caps on mainboard, gpu, psu.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

If you're stuck at 640x480 and 16 colors, I would pin it on your gpu. What kind is it?
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Tech GeekNerd

Post by Tech GeekNerd »

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is bad/unsigned driver error, but in this case, the problem with RAM memory or damaged disc. Check RAM and disc