Where is immersive IE in Windows 8 build 8032/8056?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Valerio

Where is immersive IE in Windows 8 build 8032/8056?

Post by Valerio »

Title says it all, I am looking for the immersive Internet Explorer in Windows 8 build 8032 or 8056, but I can't find it. I've searched in WinSxS, system32, Program Files, but I wasn't able to locate it, either by typing miexplore.exe, keystone.png (the icon file), splashscreen.png, appx and so on.

Windows OS

Re: Where is immersive IE in Windows 8 build 8032/8056?

Post by Windows OS »

Build 8056 doesn't have a executable for it as by that point the Immersive Browser was integrated into the main browser executable (IIRC I remember reading that that the Immersive Browser uses a different entry point for the exe, and also IIRC Lukas said that the reason why the Immersive Browser doesn't work on 8056 is because of how MetroUnlocker works).

IIRC I was able to find the resources and executable for it when I searched through the wim file of 8032, but it does not work, as MetroUnlocker doesn't work correctly in 8032 (along with breaking some elements of explorer, Immersive application execution doesn't work either, unlike in 8056 and 7989). If you really want to experiment with an older Immersive Browser version, run MetroUnlocker in 7989 and then delete C:\Windows\System32\shsxs.dll. You would be surprised to see how much Metro actually works on that build without shsxs (search works except for applications, Immersive app execution works, the charms bar works, the Immersive Browser works when you launch it from the exe, and much more... essentially everything outside of the start screen itself works... while being very unstable, but it works). If you want to do more Metro experimenting, there is a much better RP implementation in development, so be patient for that.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Thank you for the replying, I already know that the Immersive Browser doesn't work on build 8056, as that build's Modern Framework or something is kind of broken (not to mention that Metro Unlocker just uses 8102 shsxs.dll, so it's ok that some things don't work in that build). Actually I am just looking for the resources, such as the splash screen, tile, buttons images, I don't really want to execute the app itself. Fact is, I've looked for them both in WIM and from the OS itself after installation, but still nothing. I'm able to find the Immersive Control Panel, Remote Desktop and Store resources, but not the IE's one. It's really not important at all, but I'm loving at the moment exploring the resources of Windows 8 betas. I'll be patient for sure btw, I'm already happy with what has been shown lately.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Valerio wrote:Thank you for the replying, I already know that the Immersive Browser doesn't work on build 8056, as that build's Modern Framework or something is kind of broken (not to mention that Metro Unlocker just uses 8102 shsxs.dll, so it's ok that some things don't work in that build). Actually I am just looking for the resources, such as the splash screen, tile, buttons images, I don't really want to execute the app itself. Fact is, I've looked for them both in WIM and from the OS itself after installation, but still nothing. I'm able to find the Immersive Control Panel, Remote Desktop and Store resources, but not the IE's one. It's really not important at all, but I'm loving at the moment exploring the resources of Windows 8 betas. I'll be patient for sure btw, I'm already happy with what has been shown lately.
No problem. BTW: If you want the files for 8032's Immersive Browser that I've found, here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... _Files.zip
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki