Windows Longhorn All in One ISO file.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
I have not a name

Windows Longhorn All in One ISO file.

Post by I have not a name »

Is there any way to create a Windows Longhorn Builds All in One ISO file ? Not final release of Windows Vista. If the answer is really "impossible" I will be respectful for this.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Windows Longhorn All in One ISO file.

Post by AlphaBeta »

No, there is not.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

TheCharizard31

Post by TheCharizard31 »

Or you can try, but the file will be too much big. Or seperate the pre reset builds and post reset builds in 2 iso differents.

TheCharizard31

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Do I get this right, you want one big phat disk image you can plop onto a dvd-dl disk that allows you to install every single leaked build from that disc?

In theory if you were willing to put in the work to properly image all the installs, get it to work with the RTM Vista installer (not as easy as it seems, it knows things), then get the indexes just right so setup will pick them up, then it may work. But it is just not worth it.
A simpler method, rig up a longhorn pe boot image with all the setup sources folders into distinct folders that you can start from the command prompt. That may work.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Edness
Donator

Post by Edness »

A DVD-DL wouldn't even scratch the surface of the space necessary for what he asked. Out of curiosity, I queued up all the Longhorn and Longhorn Server builds this morning and just watched how high the size would grow. It totaled up to 464.9GiB. You'd need at least a 500GB Blu-ray disc as a minimum to do something like this, lol :p
ATTENTION:
You are now reading my signature

Thank you for your attention!

yourepicfailure
Donator

Just giving op a reference. Remember though, a portion of the iso is not necessary- the pe. So with proper wim compression and file management, OP may be able to fit it onto a recordable bd rom at minumum. The biggest bd rom I've seen was 50gb, but that was years ago. I have some shopping to do.

But if OP wants every single one, and not the pre-reset only as I wrongly assumed, good luck there.

EDIT: Found a Verbatim 100gb disc.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

Why do you need to have all the Longhorn builds in a single ISO? If you just want to be able to install any Windows Longhorn build without burning bunches of discs, you could always try high quality rewritable discs, or even set up a PXE server of some sort.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

Screw disks, why don't you use a removable storage like a thumbdrive or an SD card? They come in with a ton of storage and you can make it bootable.

I have not a name

TheCharizard31 wrote:Or you can try, but the file will be too much big. Or seperate the pre reset builds and post reset builds in 2 iso differents.

TheCharizard31
OK, this can be 2 different ISO's. Can you tell me tutorial to make first and second part of ISO file ? Because I don't know.

TheCharizard31

Post by TheCharizard31 »

It's not seperate a single ISO. I said that place pre reset and post reset builds in two iso differents.

TheCharizard31

I have not a name

TheCharizard31 wrote:It's not seperate a single ISO. I said that place pre reset and post reset builds in two iso differents.

TheCharizard31
OK, I understand it. Just I'm asking how to make them ? Which Programs should I use ?

Sim31

Post by Sim31 »

gtgamer468 wrote:Screw disks, why don't you use a removable storage like a thumbdrive or an SD card? They come in with a ton of storage and you can make it bootable.
Chiming in, I tried flash drives with the Pre-Reset longhorn builds on 5 different actual PC machines (no VM's) and I always got the BSOD's or some other error on the PC's, I ended up just burning the iso's on cd-r's and they worked perfect without a flaw. Im wondering if I was doing it wrong or was using a wrong program? I can't even remember which program I used to "burn" or really just mounting the iso's to flash drives, maybe the program was doing it wrong. I never tried the post-reset builds. I never tried a SD card so can't comment on that one.

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

Sim31 wrote:
gtgamer468 wrote:Screw disks, why don't you use a removable storage like a thumbdrive or an SD card? They come in with a ton of storage and you can make it bootable.
Chiming in, I tried flash drives with the Pre-Reset longhorn builds on 5 different actual PC machines (no VM's) and I always got the BSOD's or some other error on the PC's, I ended up just burning the iso's on cd-r's and they worked perfect without a flaw. Im wondering if I was doing it wrong or was using a wrong program? I can't even remember which program I used to "burn" or really just mounting the iso's to flash drives, maybe the program was doing it wrong. I never tried the post-reset builds. I never tried a SD card so can't comment on that one.
I assume Inaccessible Boot Device? My only guess would be it's expecting it to be on a disc/D:, or the builds don't have the proper drivers to boot from USB. But that's only a guess.

yourepicfailure
Donator

I've gotten Longhorn to install off usb. No, at most it'll throw off debug assertion failed when it tries to pull up the drive structures and doesn't know what to do with the usb as Mocrosoft wasn't really planning on it (usb installs) at the time.
Longhorn packet=iffy, could try modifying a longhorn pe.

Sim31

Post by Sim31 »

JimOlive wrote:
Sim31 wrote:
I assume Inaccessible Boot Device? My only guess would be it's expecting it to be on a disc/D:, or the builds don't have the proper drivers to boot from USB. But that's only a guess.
Its been a little while since I did it and i dont remember to much from it, just that it wouldn't boot or it put up a BSOD. Tried it on a old Pentium 4 PC with IDE hard drives, tried using the best legacy hardware from during the longhorn pre beta times but I suppose it wasn't old enough hardware. I did recently aquire a P3-500Mhz PC that would be perfect for the builds.
yourepicfailure wrote:I've gotten Longhorn to install off usb. No, at most it'll throw off debug assertion failed when it tries to pull up the drive structures and doesn't know what to do with the usb as Mocrosoft wasn't really planning on it (usb installs) at the time.
Longhorn packet=iffy, could try modifying a longhorn pe.
Thanks for the idea, I never messed with the Longhorn PE but ill see what happens with that when I try playing around with it.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I know that this is slightly off-topic, but I managed to install Windows XP and Windows Vista before with a USB. Since I can install both OSes with a USB, then certainly it should work in Longhorn as well as it's between XP and Vista.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

gtgamer468 wrote:I know that this is slightly off-topic, but I managed to install Windows XP and Windows Vista before with a USB. Since I can install both OSes with a USB, then certainly it should work in Longhorn as well as it's between XP and Vista.
Numbers 4 and 6 are even numbers and considering number 5 is between 4 and 6, it should also be even. Or not?

You don't seem to realize two major problems. First, Longhorn introduced a new installation procedure, so stuff that would have worked with i386 or the final WIM setup might not necessarily work with the Longhorn WIM setup. Second, pre-reset Longhorn is not between anything. It's a dead end derivation of dnsrv RC1, which again means stuff might not work as intended.

I am not saying it wouldn't work, but one should not assume it will work.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

AlphaBeta wrote:
I am not saying it wouldn't work, but one should not assume it will work.
Don't quote me on this, but I swear I was able to get 4093 or a similar later build technically installed off of a USB using LH Packet a while back - although whenever I logged on it never loaded past the wallpaper. It's a million times less painful to just use a disk, which pretty much all LH era hardware is capable of using.
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

yourepicfailure
Donator

That just sounds like 4093 being 4093. There used to be a guide on how to do it, but that site was taken offline. Though it's on the web archives.

http://web.archive.org/web/201409011218 ... tallation/

So for making that "AIO" installer, just use a spare drive if you absolutely have to have one.

maicolinux

Post by maicolinux »

Grub4DOS and FiraDisk can also be used if booting from an USB device or an ISO by making one boot entry for each build, mapping it to the RAM and booting it while emulating a floppy device, and load the FiraDisk driver IMG onto it (so LH recognize and installs the FiraDisk driver, and can access to the memory-mapped setup files).
Kinda complex, anyway. But it's easier to make than another methods (i use Grub4DOS for my multiboot USB).

yourepicfailure
Donator

It would be best to use a single winpe for every install, then create a small win32 stub program to choose what setup to run.

I have not a name

maicolinux wrote:Grub4DOS and FiraDisk can also be used if booting from an USB device or an ISO by making one boot entry for each build, mapping it to the RAM and booting it while emulating a floppy device, and load the FiraDisk driver IMG onto it (so LH recognize and installs the FiraDisk driver, and can access to the memory-mapped setup files).
Kinda complex, anyway. But it's easier to make than another methods (i use Grub4DOS for my multiboot USB).
Grup4Dos doesn't support Windows Longhorn Betas, when I try to make bootable Windows XP AIO ISO file I couldn't open it in the virtual machine. Also this ISO file doesn't have the "Setup.exe". The most needed file for installation.