Is Longhorn Reloaded and Shorthorn illegal projects?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
YueLing11

Is Longhorn Reloaded and Shorthorn illegal projects?

Post by YueLing11 »

Is Longhorn Reloaded and Shorthorn illegal projects in some countries? Someone claim these projects is illegal, but I'm not sure if it's legal. I found in Vietnam (majority) and most of other countries outside of US and Japan, especially in Asia it can be legal, but is it illegal in some countries else?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Is Longhorn Reloaded and Shorthorn illegal projects?

Post by AlphaBeta »

Any Windows modding projects are illegal as they break both the EULA and copyright laws. However, I doubt anybody has served a jail sentence just because they modded Windows, it just sounds absurd.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

On max, Microsoft send a e-mail requiring stop the project.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

If it's like the user is sharing the codes for Windows and using it to create mods, then Microsoft would probably intervene.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

They were illegally distributing MS IP, violating their copyright. That's illegal in pretty much any country with copyright laws.
If MS really wanted to, they could get the contributors jailtime by arguing serious market harm like they did with the recovery disk guy.

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

MrBurgerKing wrote:They were illegally distributing MS IP, violating their copyright. That's illegal in pretty much any country with copyright laws.
If MS really wanted to, they could get the contributors jailtime by arguing serious market harm like they did with the recovery disk guy.
What is "MS IP"?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Microsoft intellectual property.

Yes it breaks EULA (which in large parts of the world is still not legally binding and even in fact illegal by itself) and copyright, but if you tweak and fiddle with it for personal use then they won't care, only if you try to distribute it in public on a large scale.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

AlphaBeta wrote:Any Windows modding projects are illegal as they break both the EULA and copyright laws. However, I doubt anybody has served a jail sentence just because they modded Windows, it just sounds absurd.
However, this is almost legal in Vietnam. I'm living in it and I found anyone using cracking software.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

MrBurgerKing wrote:They were illegally distributing MS IP, violating their copyright. That's illegal in pretty much any country with copyright laws.
Did Samuka got arrested for his projects?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

YueLing11 wrote:
Do you think he posted this post from jail?
Samuka wrote:
What is "MS IP"?

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
Do you think he posted this post from jail?
Samuka wrote:
What is "MS IP"?
If Samuka got arrested then how he can access the internet? You can't use internet in jail!

Also, Samuka's last visited is in 11 February 2019, aka recently. It means he isn't in jail. https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/membe ... ile&u=4006

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

Well, what the actual objective of this topic? Inform to me what the riscks of my projects? Do you want i stop the projects? And, i will migrate to reactos. In true, i already use reactos code for ALL!

I was not arrested and God would never be. I work to serve the community, I do not even earn a penny.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

please continue one core api ^^

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

As others have said before me, modifying and distributing the Microsoft OS is against the EULA. Also technically counts as piracy due to the free distribution nature of the project.
This is illegal.

However~
Samuka, according to his/her profile location, is in Brazil. I highly doubt Microsoft or anyone else is going to make the effort to track Samuka down and travel to South America to give him/her hell for the project. The Brazilian authorities are probably not going to get anything out of it if they hop in either. They have more pressing matters and probably focus little on something trivial like this (just like the Vietnam case above). Samuka has probably received a few C&D emails from Microsoft and Co, but like I said nobody is going to take any real action.

Samuka, keep up the good work.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Samuka wrote:Well, what the actual objective of this topic? Inform to me what the riscks of my projects? Do you want i stop the projects? And, i will migrate to reactos. In true, i already use reactos code for ALL!

I was not arrested and God would never be. I work to serve the community, I do not even earn a penny.
I guess to discuss the legality of fan projects. In reality, fringe enthusiast projects like the ones mentioned usually don't get any bad attention.

BTW huge fan of your work! It's really amazing how much has been accomplished.
YueLing11 wrote:
Arrests over piracy violating copyright are extremely rare. Getting arrested over a fan project will probably never happen unless the copyright owner got really offended for some reason. The absolute worst most can expect is a cease-and-desist and dmca takedowns.
MS probably won't do anything about any longhorn projects because the code is obsolete, and the products they currently market are only distantly related. Samuka has nothing to worry about.
YueLing11 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:Any Windows modding projects are illegal as they break both the EULA and copyright laws. However, I doubt anybody has served a jail sentence just because they modded Windows, it just sounds absurd.
However, this is almost legal in Vietnam. I'm living in it and I found anyone using cracking software.
Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's legal. MS has gone after larger organizations and businesses that have stolen their products.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

Even though it's illegal in certain countries but is legal in others, you should be fine. I'm no lawyer but as long as it's not widely distributed and not open-sourced, there is no worries. I doubt Microsoft even cares.

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

MrBurgerKing wrote:
Samuka wrote:Well, what the actual objective of this topic? Inform to me what the riscks of my projects? Do you want i stop the projects? And, i will migrate to reactos. In true, i already use reactos code for ALL!

I guess to discuss the legality of fan projects. In reality, fringe enthusiast projects like the ones mentioned usually don't get any bad attention.

BTW huge fan of your work! It's really amazing how much has been accomplished.
YueLing11 wrote:
Arrests over piracy violating copyright are extremely rare. Getting arrested over a fan project will probably never happen unless the copyright owner got really offended for some reason. The absolute worst most can expect is a cease-and-desist and dmca takedowns.
MS probably won't do anything about any longhorn projects because the code is obsolete, and the products they currently market are only distantly related. Samuka has nothing to worry about.
YueLing11 wrote:
Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's legal. MS has gone after larger organizations and businesses that have stolen their products.
Thank you!

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

yourepicfailure wrote:As others have said before me, modifying and distributing the Microsoft OS is against the EULA. Also technically counts as piracy due to the free distribution nature of the project.
This is illegal.

However~
Samuka, according to his/her profile location, is in Brazil. I highly doubt Microsoft or anyone else is going to make the effort to track Samuka down and travel to South America to give him/her hell for the project. The Brazilian authorities are probably not going to get anything out of it if they hop in either. They have more pressing matters and probably focus little on something trivial like this (just like the Vietnam case above). Samuka has probably received a few C&D emails from Microsoft and Co, but like I said nobody is going to take any real action.

As I said firstly, in most of countries outside of US it's legal. Just like AO554's Aero8 doesn't get sued.

mibrab

Post by mibrab »

YueLing11 wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:As others have said before me, modifying and distributing the Microsoft OS is against the EULA. Also technically counts as piracy due to the free distribution nature of the project.
This is illegal.

However~

As I said firstly, in most of countries outside of US it's legal. Just like AO554's Aero8 doesn't get sued.
The fact that you don't get sued doesn't mean it's legal
Also known as Cvolton elsewhere...

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

This is illegal.

However~

No, i don't received any e-mail from Microsoft about it. Only for my outlook account, Windows Insider or msdn.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Samuka wrote:
This is illegal.

However~

No, i don't received any e-mail from Microsoft about it. Only for my outlook account, Windows Insider or msdn.
So continue Shorthorn project!

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

mrpijey wrote:Microsoft intellectual property.

Yes it breaks EULA (which in large parts of the world is still not legally binding and even in fact illegal by itself) and copyright, but if you tweak and fiddle with it for personal use then they won't care, only if you try to distribute it in public on a large scale.
However, almost don't get sued. For example, AO554's Aero8 is now 1 year and a half year old and Aero10 is 1 year old but don't get sued. AO554 is from UK; Windows 10 Gaming Edition, Windows 8.1 Luxury, etc... don't even get sued. As I said first, in most of countries OUTSIDE OF US it's legal, included in UK (where AO554 living); Vietnam; Brazil (where Samuka living).

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

YueLing11 wrote:As I said first, in most of countries OUTSIDE OF US it's legal, included in UK (where AO554 living); Vietnam; Brazil (where Samuka living).
mibrab wrote:The fact that you don't get sued doesn't mean it's legal

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

Microsoft killed the Longhorn Reloaded project as Longhorn was still fairly relevant at the time, and such a release could have impacted Vista sales to a degree, as hobbyist/tinkerers might try the LR Project, then stick with that rather than upgrade to Vista. By the time of the Shorthorn project, this was no longer the case, so Microsoft has no financial interest in going after it. It's just like how Microsoft doesn't hunt down old betas actively, yet will definitely stomp down anything confidential regarding Windows 10 or its other current products.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:As I said first, in most of countries OUTSIDE OF US it's legal, included in UK (where AO554 living); Vietnam; Brazil (where Samuka living).
mibrab wrote:The fact that you don't get sued doesn't mean it's legal
However, you should look for Vietnam and Brazil.
MrBurgerKing wrote:Arrests over piracy violating copyright are extremely rare. Getting arrested over a fan project will probably never happen unless the copyright owner got really offended for some reason. The absolute worst most can expect is a cease-and-desist and dmca takedowns.
This is illegal.

However~