BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 23h, 4m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5873MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 am 

Microsoft Chicago Build 58s is the earliest leaked build of Chicago, however many users are having trouble installing it. This will guide you through how to install this build properly.

What you need:
Microsoft Chicago 58s Archive
86Box

What to do:
1. Download Microsoft Chicago 58s from here, this archive has a boot disk designed for Chicago 58s (it uses the DOS included with Chicago 58s instead of MS-DOS 6.22), an emergency boot disk and the setup disc.
2. Extract all content of the downloaded file to your working directory.
3. Setup 86Box, select the settings that suits you. (16 MB RAM and 256 MB Disk space recommended)
4. Change drive A: to the boot disk (Disc --> Change drive A (Write-protected) and select "Microsoft Chicago 58s Boot Disk.img")
5. Put in the setup disc (Settings --> CD-ROM --> ISO and select "Microsoft Chicago 58s.iso")
6. Now, wait for the boot disk to boot.
7. When you're in DOS, type "fdisk"
8. Choose "1", then "1" and "Y"
9. Let it restart and type "format C:"
10. Choose "Y" and type in your volume label.
11. Type "D:"
12. Type "cd retail"
13. Type "dossetup"
14. Follow the instructions.
15. When the message "Setup cannot find or update your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files on drive A:" pops up, click "Cancel"
16. When the message "Setup must reboot system. Press OK to reboot." message pops up, eject the boot disk (Disc --> Eject drive A:)
17. Click "OK" to reboot.
18. Done!

Note:
1. Beta Site ID: 101907 Password: 999b70c9e
2. It is recommended to change Files=30 and Buffers=30 in CONFIG.SYS to Files=90 and Buffers=90.

Detailed information of the archive:
Microsoft Chicago 58s Boot Disk.img is the boot disk of Microsoft Chicago 58s. It has most DOS features of Microsoft Chicago 58s.

Microsoft Chicago 58s Emergency Boot Disk.img is the emergency boot disk of Microsoft Chicago 58s. The feature of creating an emergency boot disc wasn't included in this build, so it would be helpful to include this disk. It only has the most basic functions of DOS, same as the emergency boot disks created by later builds of Chicago and it does not recognize CD drives.

Microsoft Chicago 58s.iso is setup disc of Microsoft Chicago 58s. This is the original dump from an untouched Microsoft disc! It will install without errors and also has the SDK.

No! Windows is a mistake, it should be called Interface Manager!

Last edited by ComputerHunter on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The MSNET.INF error doesn't happen if you use the proper dump that's on the FTP. Various other ISOs found online have missing files, though.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 pm 

Edit: It looks like the KenOath release is not original and has a few missing files. If you have the KenOath release, you will see quite a few errors during the setup.

Last edited by ComputerHunter on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
No, the release on the FTP was provided by sunnyblueman in 2014, it's an original dump from the CD which includes the SDK. I'm not sure where the ISO with missing files came from, though I could guess it was made from the warez leak of this build, which is also missing several files.

There's several network-related INF files in the full ISO, so I'm not sure which one is missing in your copy. Here's all of them packed up for you.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 pm 

Edit: Updated the tutorial and files. No errors will pop up if you follow the new instructions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm 

ComputerHunter wrote:
Edit: Updated the tutorial and files. No errors will pop up if you follow the new instructions.
No errors pop up if you install networking as I did in this video.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm 

Thanks, but VPC is problematic when it comes to install early betas.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to install Microsoft Chicago Build 58s        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 pm 
FTP Access

In the not too distant future... next Sunday, A.D.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 (don't @ me)
ComputerHunter wrote:
Thanks, but VPC is problematic when it comes to install early betas.

But you can still do this method on 86Box, PCem, VARCem, and on actual hardware. One emulator doesn't make a method unusable.

GPU: nVida GeForce GTX 1070 with 8088MB of VRAM and 8168MB of Shard Mem.
Storage: 500GB SDD, 2TB HDD, and 4TB HDD.
Screen: 1920x1080.

Top  Profile