LOGONUI.EXE with waving flag on XP RTM

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
alecu

LOGONUI.EXE with waving flag on XP RTM

Post by alecu »

I want to put LOGONUI.EXE with waving flag from Whistler 2474 on Windows XP RTM but i don't know. I tried it sometime and the flag doesn't wave. Should I try IDA PRO to see what code is? Please compare with the LogonUI from XP RTM and that from 2474.

AS95678

Re: LOGONUI.EXE with waving flag on XP RTM

Post by AS95678 »

Try to replace the LogonUI with the one from 2475. Then begin reversing with IDA if that doesn't work. 2474 never had the waving logo, it was 2475 that had it.

Amaroq-Starwind

Post by Amaroq-Starwind »

There was a waving flag at some point? O.o

While you're at it, see if you can also bring us the Whistler boot screen. That thing looks awesome.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Amaroq-Starwind wrote:While you're at it, see if you can also bring us the Whistler boot screen. That thing looks awesome.
That's nearly impossible without the Windows XP source code, as it would require replacing the kernel. It's always a bad idea to replace the kernel.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Amaroq-Starwind

Post by Amaroq-Starwind »

Huh. I thought the Boot screen was a separate bit of code from the kernel entirely.

mibrab

Post by mibrab »

Amaroq-Starwind wrote:Huh. I thought the Boot screen was a separate bit of code from the kernel entirely.
In Windows 9x it was, in Windows XP it isn't. There are unofficial tools that can modify the kernel to show a different bootscreen but there's no way to transplant a beta boot screen to the final version unless you remake it using one of these tools.
Also known as Cvolton elsewhere...

alecu

Post by alecu »

I replaced LOGONUI, but it gives Ordinal 741 not found in Shell32.DLL. Where is the ordinal?