Unused/hidden dialogs in Chicago 58s

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Overdoze

Unused/hidden dialogs in Chicago 58s

Post by Overdoze »

JaGoTu managed to get some unused/hidden dialogs found in Chicago build 58s to show up. Two are hidden in CABINET.EXE (window animation and minimized window options), one is in DESK.CPL (the appearance tab). It doesn't seem like there's much functionality in them, though. The test minimize animation does play, but the slider doesn't seem to affect it at all. Minimize options don't work and neither does the appearance tab, though it does reflect the currently active theme.

To enable this, you can download these two files and put them in your Chicago folder (DESK.CPL goes into the SYSTEM folder). The two dialogs inside CABINET.EXE appear as additional tabs in the Usability Test Options dialog, while the Appearance dialog replaces the Screensaver tab on the Desktop control panel applet.

The two window options dialogs are already gone by build 73f, suggesting they were either already on their way out in 58s, or the more likely scenario, they got ditched afterwards since window tiles were being phased out by then. The appearance tab persisted into 73f and g, but is still hidden there. The first build to reveal it appears to be 81, which got rid of the Colors control panel applet that previously served the same purpose.

ImageImageImage
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

HarryPotter64

Re: Unused/hidden dialogs in Chicago 58s

Post by HarryPotter64 »

Wow. Impressive how you figured this out.