Microsoft Neptune WIM Image

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Bobby

Microsoft Neptune WIM Image

Post by Bobby »

Hi, I wonder if it is possible to create a Neptune WIM Image? My Neptune WIM doesn't work with the Windows Vista installer.
Any help?
This community is quite disappointing. Please, lets not make it any worse by making mindless assumptions.

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Re: Microsoft Neptune WIM Image

Post by LuLu »

try with PantherXP

Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Seriously? PantherXP? I would say no, because it only accept XP and later I386 setups. You can capture the WIM and put it into an ISO, however you won't be able to get past the product key stage as the PID is different between XP based OS and 2K based OS. The Longhorn 4053 PE won't recognize that.

If anybody here has done a WIM repack of Win2K using PantherXP or other ways, please help.
This community is quite disappointing. Please, lets not make it any worse by making mindless assumptions.

AS95678

Post by AS95678 »

@Bobby Sysprep, then use ximage 4059 in a Windows PE environment to capture the hard disk, then copy the 4074 sources folder, replacing the install.wim with your own. PM for further details. And the product key thing is actually determined by a different file, pidgen.dll. (You can replace the XP pidgen with the Neptune pidgen)

Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thanks, I know how pidgen works, I replaced pidgen.dll and setupp.ini, they are from Win2K and the 4053 PE doesn't recognize any keys (Win2K, ME, XP, 2003 and LH). I did try Windows Vista's PE and it doesn't apply the full WIM, it comes up with an error saying that can't apply registry settings.

I will try 4074 some time (I don't have much time) and have you tried it?