Error Opening Longhorn WIM Images. Please Help!

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Bulletinum

Error Opening Longhorn WIM Images. Please Help!

Post by Bulletinum »

When I try to open Windows Longhorn's 'install.wim' file it always throws me the error: "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format" Of course, it's probably because Windows Longhorn WIM images are beta and aren't the same as modern ones. (But I might be wrong since I'm new to WIM images etc.) I just need to find some way to open install.wim to add sata drivers to boot up on my motherboard (And no it doesn't have the legacy boot option, sadly). I'm using this system for testing etc, and I have lots of spare time to fiddle with longhorn betas because it's the holidays, but I can't get any longhorn installed on this motherboard because I need to find a way to add sata drivers to my installation. It would be great if somebody also had a longhorn iso with sata drivers already included (Preferably Build 4051/4053 with working explorer.exe) or if not I need to know how to add SATA drivers, or at least get into install.wim. The software I have tried to use to open longhorn Build 4051's WIM file are the Latest Versions of: WAIK, DISM GUI and GimageX. They have all turned out with similar errors. I heard that people also have used the software's I listed to edit longhorn WIMs but maybe I need a different version of that software? I also removed the read only permission on the install.wim file if that helps. It would be great if someone had a solution! Thanks! :mrgreen: (By the way, this is all on Longhorn build 4051)

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Re: Error Opening Longhorn WIM Images. Please Help!

Post by WindowsNeptune »

What tool do you use to access files inside Longhorn's WIMs? I personally use 7-ZIP, however it cannot add, delete or modify files inside WIM. Maybe you can use xImage for Longhorn.

Bulletinum

Post by Bulletinum »

Thanks for the reply, and yes 7zip works perfectly for me to extract the contents of the WIM, and I used GimageX to open it, but that gave the error mentioned above, and normal ImageX for vista wont even open (It launches a cmd window which immediatly closes). However if someone has a WIM mounter compatible with longhon please tell me, thanks!

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

GImageX should work. It can mount and modify wim images.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Bulletinum wrote:normal ImageX for vista wont even open (It launches a cmd window which immediatly closes)
It's a console application after all... Run it from the command prompt.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Post by WindowsNeptune »

And there are some "Beta" xImage versions, like 4008, 4074, 5112, 5270. You can download them from http://sbornik-obrazov-dlya-bochs-i-qem ... tml?090119. xImage (laterly called ImageX) are console tools, so you should open CMD to use them, and type sth like "Ximage /help" to read manual. :D :D

Bulletinum

Post by Bulletinum »

Thanks so much! I think the link to the beta Ximage versions is what I was looking for, thanks everyone! Ill tell you if they work with my longhorn build or not.