Windows Neptune

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Lucas Brooks

Windows Neptune

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Today I decided to install Windows Neptune again and I checked winver, I found the banner is different from what I've seen before:

It should be this:

So I was confused and have no idea why it is like that.

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Re: Windows Neptune

Post by WindowsNeptune »

The difference between these two picture is timebomb I think. Maybe the one with timebomb is much similar to the original copy of Neptune 5111?

Win7

Post by Win7 »

You have to install a graphics driver to get the banner as it is shown in the second picture.

Win7

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

WindowsNeptune wrote:The difference between these two picture is timebomb I think. Maybe the one with timebomb is much similar to the original copy of Neptune 5111?
Isn't there a debate about which one is closer to the original? I will try the other one.
Win7 wrote:You have to install a graphics driver to get the banner as it is shown in the second picture.
Hummm, I don't have any drivers on my hand, I remember I have a few old graphics driver for Windows 98 and it probably won't work. If you have any Windows 2000 or Neptune drivers, please send it to me. Thanks

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

ComputerHunter wrote:
Win7 wrote:You have to install a graphics driver to get the banner as it is shown in the second picture.
Hummm, I don't have any drivers on my hand, I remember I have a few old graphics driver for Windows 98 and it probably won't work. If you have any Windows 2000 or Neptune drivers, please send it to me. Thanks
What are you installing it in?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

WindowsNeptune wrote:The difference between these two picture is timebomb I think. Maybe the one with timebomb is much similar to the original copy of Neptune 5111?
Some copies had the setup hive replaced by one from a Windows 2000 build in an effort to get rid of the timebomb. The original setup hive should make the OS report Consumer in its product suites.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

That's just the low color-depth banner that's used when you use the generic 16-color VGA display driver. Once you get 16-bit color depth or higher, you'll get the nice banner.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks