Windows Longhorn: Problem installing Build 5048 in VirtualBo

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Kimberly5384

Windows Longhorn: Problem installing Build 5048 in VirtualBo

Post by Kimberly5384 »

I'm having a hard time getting build 5048 to run in VirtualBox. I set the bios date correctly, by using MS-DOS. But when running Setup from the disk, it's stuck at "Starting Setup...".
Does anyone know of anything I can do to try and run setup successfully.
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

LilShootDawg

Re: Windows Longhorn: Problem installing Build 5048 in Virtu

Post by LilShootDawg »

First off, MS-DOS can't set bios dates. Second off, this isn't Windows 3.1. The ISO should be bootable and if it's not then upgrade from XP.

Kimberly5384

Post by Kimberly5384 »

The only way to get Longhorn working in VirtualBox is by setting the date via MS-DOS, I've done it plenty times before. I guess this build just doesn't work like that. I'll try upgrading from XP.
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

SoftPCMuseum

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

LilShootDawg wrote:First off, MS-DOS can't set bios dates. Second off, this isn't Windows 3.1. The ISO should be bootable and if it's not then upgrade from XP.
MS-DOS does support setting BIOS dates. That's what the DATE and TIME commands are for.
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

Maza

Post by Maza »

The responses here could not be more unhelpful. Rather than just telling him he is wrong you should try to point him in the right direction.

Cosmo, you should not be having this issue, at least not if you have a clean image of "Longhorn" 5048.

Have you followed the directions at other sites such as Winero for changing the time in VirtualBox? Is your disk configuration an IDE drive and not a SATA one? How much RAM are you allocating for the virtual machine? I find that between ~2GB and ~3GB is sufficient for "Longhorn" 5048.

Please let us know.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle