Windows NT 4.0: delete NTFS partition and system with it

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Dabrowski

Windows NT 4.0: delete NTFS partition and system with it

Post by Dabrowski »

Hello!

Here's the tricky situation: I have installed Windows NT 4.0 on my old Toshiba laptop. It has 2GB HDD, so I used Win98 bootdisk to FDISK a single FAT partition and allocate all available space to it, and upon installing NT 4.0 I selected convert that partition to NTFS, so now I have 1 single NTFS partition that is the size of my whole HDD, with working NT 4.0 on it. So, how can it be erased? I would like to get back to FAT to install 3.11, 95, etc. Win98 bootdisk won't help, because it doesn't understand NTFS :(

I know that it can be done while NT 4.0 setup, but since I only have 1 partition with NT 4.0 already installed on it, he asks me for another partition to copy the install files.

That sucks!

Please, help.

P.S. I was thinking to use bootable 2000/XP CD, but my laptop only boots from floppy, so everything must be done under live DOS (or NT 4.0).

TwilyDev

Re: Windows NT 4.0: delete NTFS partition and system with it

Post by TwilyDev »

Dabrowski wrote:I know that it can be done while NT 4.0 setup, but since I only have 1 partition with NT 4.0 already installed on it, he asks me for another partition to copy the install files.
Hmm...
Dabrowski wrote:... but my laptop only boots from floppy, so everything must be done under live DOS (or NT 4.0).
Well, I'm gonna download NT4.0 on floppies for understanding your problems.

Edit: :( How sad, WinWorld doesn't have NT4.0 on floppies. Maybe I'll ask. Where do you find the NT4.0 floppies?
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

Dabrowski

Post by Dabrowski »

TwilyDev wrote:
Dabrowski wrote:I know that it can be done while NT 4.0 setup, but since I only have 1 partition with NT 4.0 already installed on it, he asks me for another partition to copy the install files.
Hmm...
Dabrowski wrote:... but my laptop only boots from floppy, so everything must be done under live DOS (or NT 4.0).
Well, I'm gonna download NT4.0 on floppies for understanding your problems.

Edit: :( How sad, WinWorld doesn't have NT4.0 on floppies. Maybe I'll ask. Where do you find the NT4.0 floppies?
Hey :)

No no no, I have a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation CD. It is bootable, by the way - I just tested it on VMware. Bootable just like 2000/XP, so it is very easy to get red of any existing partition. But the problem is, that my laptop doesn't support booting from CD(although it has CD ROM), only from floppy. So, to actually install something you need a live DOS diskette, and that diskette just simply doesn't recognize the only available partition, that is formatted in NTFS.

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

Finally, from: https://superuser.com/questions/258720/ ... e-from-dos
Format with a Win98/Me Startup disk.

Use a Windows 98/Me startup disk to delete the non-dos partition. Boot from Startup Disk.

Load FDISK by typing "fdisk.exe" at the "A" prompt without the quotes.

Say yes to large disk support ...........? [Y] ENTER

Enter choice #3 to "Delete partition or Logical Dos Drive" Press ESC to return to FDISK options

Enter #4 to "Delete Non-DOS Partition". Select the Non-DOS partition by typing the number and then ENTER. Press ESC to return to FDISK options. Note you cannot delete a NON-DOS partition located inside an Extended partition. You can use the DOS utility called delpart.exe from a DOS boot up.

Reboot with startup disk and load FDISK.

Say yes to Large disk support as above.

Enter choice #1 Press ESC to return to FDISK options

When asked if you want to use the maximum size for the partition and make it active, type Y if you want to use the whole drive, or N if you want to set a maximum sized for the partition.

After setting the size, reboot.

If you want to install another OS; after reboot: Type format X: at the A: prompt; where X is the drive/partition letter destination.
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

Dabrowski wrote: P.S. I was thinking to use bootable 2000/XP CD, but my laptop only boots from floppy, so everything must be done under live DOS (or NT 4.0).
There were bootdisks for Windows 2000 and Microsoft offered Windows XP bootdisks for download, or at least they used to a few years ago. This just in case the FDISK method doesn't work for some reason, which I don't know why it shouldn't.

asad10

Post by asad10 »

Isn't there a low-level format option in your BIOS?

Dabrowski

Post by Dabrowski »

TwilyDev wrote:Finally, from: https://superuser.com/questions/258720/ ... e-from-dos
Format with a Win98/Me Startup disk.

Use a Windows 98/Me startup disk to delete the non-dos partition. Boot from Startup Disk.

Load FDISK by typing "fdisk.exe" at the "A" prompt without the quotes.

Say yes to large disk support ...........? [Y] ENTER

Enter choice #3 to "Delete partition or Logical Dos Drive" Press ESC to return to FDISK options

Enter #4 to "Delete Non-DOS Partition". Select the Non-DOS partition by typing the number and then ENTER. Press ESC to return to FDISK options. Note you cannot delete a NON-DOS partition located inside an Extended partition. You can use the DOS utility called delpart.exe from a DOS boot up.

Reboot with startup disk and load FDISK.

Say yes to Large disk support as above.

Enter choice #1 Press ESC to return to FDISK options

When asked if you want to use the maximum size for the partition and make it active, type Y if you want to use the whole drive, or N if you want to set a maximum sized for the partition.

After setting the size, reboot.

If you want to install another OS; after reboot: Type format X: at the A: prompt; where X is the drive/partition letter destination.
"Delete Non-DOS Partition" option works!!! Thank you, laptop is saved.
3155ffGd wrote:There were bootdisks for Windows 2000 and Microsoft offered Windows XP bootdisks for download, or at least they used to a few years ago. This just in case the FDISK method doesn't work for some reason, which I don't know why it shouldn't.
Didn't knew there are 2000/XP bootdisk. If they support NTFS, that's pretty cool.
asad10 wrote:Isn't there a low-level format option in your BIOS?
Oh no, it is Toshiba 420CDT, his BIOS is pretty limited.

Thank you guys, you helped a lot!