Modern Web Browsing on Mac OS X Tiger PPC without TenFourFox

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
MotorolaFLARE

Modern Web Browsing on Mac OS X Tiger PPC without TenFourFox

Post by MotorolaFLARE »

My iMac G4 with Tiger runs TFF very slowly, but i found an alternative to it. :idea:

Step.1 Download SeaMonkey 2.0.14

Step.2 Install Adblock Plus 1.3.1 for (blocking ads :P )

Step 2.5 The official Easylist link don't longer work in Tiger. A working list is located at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/garof ... stcomp.txt
(To edit the list, Click AdBlock Plus -> Preferences -> Easylist Subscription -> Right-click -> Modify Subscription -> Copy Link -> Save and Update Subscription)

Goodbye. :P

C'è solo l'Inter, AMALA!

oscareczek

Re: Modern Web Browsing on Mac OS X Tiger PPC without TenFou

Post by oscareczek »

What kind of modern browsing are you going to achieve with a browser whose engine is the same as Firefox's 3.5? Even the latest official Firefox was newer than that. Besides, you can just try older versions of TenFourFox.

rbshep

Re: Modern Web Browsing on Mac OS X Tiger PPC without TenFou

Post by rbshep »

I would agree that TenFourFox is the best option.

However, you can get increased performance by using FoxPep:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fo ... x.2209108/

Josephlj945

Re: Modern Web Browsing on Mac OS X Tiger PPC without TenFourFox

Post by Josephlj945 »

For anyone interested; TenFourFox is absolutely the best method. The PowerPC forum on Macrumors has a lot of awesome info about browsing on PPC Macs today. FoxPEP as mentioned above is good and I have good results on PPC Macs.

I actually daily drive a PowerBook G4 most of the time, though I do have modern systems obviously. Most my browsing is done on the PowerBook. If you run Leopard, webkit is also a viable option though not as compatible. We also have other browsers now such as arcticfox.

Joet BERNARD

Post by Joet BERNARD »

May be a little out of topic but, can we "browse" with WorldWideWeb/Nexus with a PPC MacOS ?
I have try with x86 version of OPENStep but, I can access to internet with x86 revision of WWW/Nexus :cry:
French only
Home of Signé JARB
My hardware collection not totally up to date...
My NEW Discord server

Crosma

Post by Crosma »

I did manage to build and run modern Lynx with OpenSSL 1.0.2-series (which is old school style and builds basically anywhere, and also has TLS 1.2) on Jaguar. I could not find any alternative options.

But at least I know I can build Lynx and OpenSSL 1.0.2 on almost any OS, and actually be able to connect to modern websites.

androidtuts

Post by androidtuts »

You can use SeaMonkey. I already using it and its running well also temp we can say Modern Web Browsing. :D

Josephlj945

Post by Josephlj945 »

We also have InterWeb now. I uploaded G4 and G5 AltiVec enabled versions of the browser on mega because the dev originally only put up builds of the G3 version. He later added a G5 version, but I compiled them all to make it easier for people.
It is TFF but user Wicknix changed the branding and a couple other things that make it lighter and faster.