Patterns on the desktop?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
alpha.burton

Patterns on the desktop?

Post by alpha.burton »

has anyone got the desktop patterns that were in the earlier versions of windows 95-98 to work on windows xp?been trying with no luck.any help would be great

SistemaRayoXP

Re: Patterns on the desktop?

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Just select any little image as the wallpaper, and set it to mosaic

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

If you are meaning the real old pattern, here's my reply.
So, in Windows 2000, there's still the pattern.

But, in Windows XP, there's no pattern at all.

:idea: (Just Thinking) Maybe Microsoft says this while Development of Windows XP: Hey, pattern is too classic. And we are dealing with themes.
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

SpiralVortex

Post by SpiralVortex »

You can do it by editing the registry. This still works even on Windows 10 1809, FWIW. Here's a screenshot of Critters - albeit on a 4K display it looks like little microscopic dots.

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/b ... -versions/

(Windows 10 will have a DWORD entry for the Pattern entry in your user profile. Delete it, then recreate it as a String using one of the values listed on that link - or your own, if you prefer! Then set your desktop to a solid colour, just as in the old days.)

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

I got the Desk.cpl file from windows 2000 version 5.0.1580.1 and added the patterns via ..reg file for them to work on XP.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

alpha.burton wrote:I got the Desk.cpl file from windows 2000 version 5.0.1580.1 and added the patterns via ..reg file for them to work on XP.

here is a pic of the reg and clp file version i found to work on xp

Kimberly5384

Post by Kimberly5384 »

Do you think you could upload those files (maybe via mega) so I can test this out on my XP install?
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

Cosmo wrote:Do you think you could upload those files (maybe via mega) so I can test this out on my XP install?
PM Sent

Amaroq-Starwind

Post by Amaroq-Starwind »

That is awesome. I can't wait to try it out on my machine~ (Don't worry, I'll provide screenshots!)

Microsoft has a feedback hub where you can make suggestions for future updates. Maybe we can get together and request that they bring back the Patterns menu. We could also try playing around with this by making our own patterns.

Edit: Sweet, my post got approved...

By the way, for any screenshots you guys take and upload here, I'd suggest taking a look at a piece of software called PNGGauntlet. That has the potential to drastically reduce the size of your PNG files (don't use JPEG for obvious reasons), thereby reducing upload and storage demands on the server. If you want to get your screenshots even smaller, then you can also try running them through PngQuant before PngGauntlet, at the expense of color depth. Those are both free pieces of software!

EDIT 2:
Here's my images.
ImageImageImage