BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 16h, 26m | CPU: 90% | MEM: 5336MB of 10413MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 pm 

Favourite OS
Chrome OS
Since BetaArchive is such a big repository, maybe there could be fakes that have gone unnoticed on the FTP server?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well of course there's a possibility, it's mostly up to the uploader to guarantee his uploads are legit, since mrpijey can't practically check every upload and confirm it's authentic. There were several cases in the past where fake stuff was discovered only after years of sitting on the FTP (a few early Chicago builds, fake Windows 1.0 PE, …).

Is this a general question or do you suspect a release on the FTP is fake?

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 am 

Favourite OS
Chrome OS
Overdoze wrote:
Is this a general question or do you suspect a release on the FTP is fake?

Just a general general question, also I can't really suspect anything on the FTP to be fake because I don't have the special access.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 am 

Favourite OS
I guess the ideal scenario would be that old developers could confirm if something is fake or not. But of course it's always hard to find those.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 pm 
FTP Access

There are. While they're obviously not on the FTP, some of my friends on Discord have made fake builds.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Could there be fakes that we don't know about?        Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
sArAmTaCoJeSUs wrote:
Since BetaArchive is such a big repository, maybe there could be fakes that have gone unnoticed on the FTP server?

There could, but it's highly unlikely

Top  Profile