Windows 2000 Professional Edition 2004

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
empireum
Donator

Windows 2000 Professional Edition 2004

Post by empireum »

I have just found this on my HD, I had downloaded the ISO off of an OSBA FTP almost two years ago. It's a hacked Windows 2000 Professional OS that has SP4 and some security patches (well, from up to 2004...) integrated and many, many visual enhancements. There are XP-like icons and banners everywhere, and if I remember correctly, the developer has also integrated some features that were only present in XP and later, but not in 2000. It could be, however, that he implemented them in later versions than the one I have because I didn't find them. It was a (Wireless) Nework wizard like the one in XP or something.

The only downside of it is that... well, the developer's Korean, and so is the OS. There was an English version of it and he also started developing a "2005" version but I didn't find it anywhere. I have sent him an E-mail asking how the project was doing and if it was still alive, maybe he can light me up. He once had a website about that stuff, but it's not online anymore. That could mean the project's dead...

Anyway, besides the language, I think this OS is a great modification with all the nice icons and redesigned banners. I will upload some screenshots to show the visual improvements later. He also integrated the XP wallpapers (some of them) and made some new ones, for example. He also visually upgraded some wizards (or maybe these new graphics are in the Korean version of Win2k by default, although I doubt it).

Stay tuned – but I'm afraid if I can't get my hands on an English version of it, it might be a dead end. One could, at least, extract the very nice bitmaps and patch Win2k's system files like XPize does for XP and 2003... There's also a nice collection of extra software included on the DVD.

A strange occurance: During the copy of the files (1st stage of setup) it complained about explorer.exe being corrupt or something else (couldn't understand it ), but the file was there when I checked it and the system itself runs fine.

Another one to be aware of: This is not a modification of a beta OS, it's a modification of a released, final OS, so I am not sure if this could be put on the server safely if someone had interest. I guess it would be a problem.

edit: Screenshots are up in the gallery.
Last edited by empireum on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Sounds like a nice OS but corrupt explorer on install. Hummm maybe he didnt modifype before he repacked it.
Could someone translate to english?
Is the iso a strait install or is there an $OEM$ folder?

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

i remember when that guy was around, everyone thought he was a fake

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

dirtwarrior wrote:Sounds like a nice OS but corrupt explorer on install. Hummm maybe he didnt modifype before he repacked it.
Could someone translate to english?
Is the iso a strait install or is there an $OEM$ folder?
I installed it and it's working fine, including Explorer, regardless of the error message. I remember getting it as well when I installed it for the 1st time long, long ago. Maybe he's just forgotten to modifype the file. As long as it works, it's no big problem. I don't know if this could be translated to English, I'd rather get my hands on an English version of itself. I'll see if/when I get a response on my e-mail. There is no $OEM$ folder on the CD. But as far as I see, the "2004" version I have is just a collection of modified bitmaps and stuff, no additional features (they were supposed to be integrated in later versions, I guess). So it'd be just a matter of extracting the resources and applying them to an English Win2k.
___ wrote:i remember when that guy was around, everyone thought he was a fake
So did I, till I downloaded and installed the OS. Would love to have a newer and primarily an English version of it.

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Oh I remember the guy now.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

He hasn't yet answered my mail, I'll see if there's anything left of the project. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

I would assume you read the OSBA post?
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I would assume you read the OSBA post?
Which one? Sorry, the last time I've been to OSBA was at the end of 2004 or something...

Frozenport

Post by Frozenport »

Okay i found the translation for english... (although untested...)

Here is the rapid share link http://rapidshare.com/files/1753161/w2k ... l.exe.html

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Its only 13.5 mb

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@Frozenport
Again, what OSBA post do you mean? What happened to the project?

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

I saw some modifictions for Win2k on msfn.org, perhaps he wants this
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Do you mean something like XPize for Win2k? That would be nice, but this Professional Edition was supposed to be more. It wasn't just about replacing pictures and logos, it was about adding features and stuff...

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

empireum wrote:Do you mean something like XPize for Win2k?
Yes

Here is the thread : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55706&hl=

or

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=73157
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I read this thread, but the development seems to have stalled. Anyway, I'll probably try to extract the bitmaps from the Korean edition and exchange the ones on an English Win2k with them. It might even be possible to use the XPize installer for that.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

This would be cool Thx!

Frozenport

Post by Frozenport »

have you tried the file I rapidshared?

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

I cant load from RS I always get JavaScript-errors

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Which browser do you use? It works fine in Firefox. I downloaded the file, but didn't try it. Will do this later.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

I always use FireFox

@empireum

I looked at the WinNT 5.0 Package, but this one repleases the files on the cd instead of pathing, like XPize This is bad, so I can't use it with new patches

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yeah, you have to wait for the developer/creator to release patched patches Anyway, it's a very nice package, there's also an unsupported English package, although with it, the patches are much more inconvenient.

--- edit ---
@Frozenport
I have now tried the 13.5MB package you shared and while it installs and works fine (and does the icons and logos replacement), it is in Korean. That means installing it on a Win2k SP4 OS in any other language will result in a mixture of Korean and non-Korean system files, making it very difficult to understand the descriptions and names of all the icons etc. probably causing some other problems later that I've not yet stumbled upon. So, I do not recommend installing this unless you have made a backup of your system.

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

dirtwarrior wrote:Oh I remember the guy now.
I emailed the fellow when on OSBA about this hack of his, asking
about what files a particular screen was in, he emailed me back
but was very hard to understand as his knowledge of English was
minimal, his username on OSBA was "iseewon"
I'll see if by some chance I saved his email address..

Yeah bit of a bump i know, haven't been here for a few months though..

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@KenOath
I got his e-mail address out of the .nfo file on the Windows 2000 Prof. Ed. 2004 CD and sent him a message, but he hasn't answered yet. So maybe this address has become invalid...

(Actually, you know you aren't supposed to resurrect old topics )

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

empireum wrote:@KenOath
I hadn't been here for 3 months, I stopped reading old posts past
a month, thought I was helping , didn't realise he had an nfo with
his email in it...
Should I not have helped.? assuming I was...

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

KenOath wrote:
empireum wrote:@KenOath
I hadn't been here for 3 months, I stopped reading old posts past
a month, thought I was helping , didn't realise he had an nfo with
his email in it...
Should I not have helped.? assuming I was...
Nevermind! I realise you have been away for some time and it's great to see you here again. Of course I (and I think we all) appreciate your help and respect you.
Sorry if my post above expressed something different. As for the e-mail, it didn't come back with "delivery failed" or something like that, but he hasn't responded either.