Windows 1.00 RTM Real?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Lucas Brooks

Windows 1.00 RTM Real?

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Hi, I recently found a computer with Windows 1.00 installed and I am unsure that it is real or not, so I copied all the files from that disk to my Windows 10 laptop and created a VM. Here is a screenshot:

It also has MS-DOS 3.30, softwares such as Norton Commander and loads of old games. If anybody want to take a look at those files, I will upload them to MEGA.

Regards,
ComputerHunter

Battler
Donator

Re: Windows 1.00 RTM Real?

Post by Battler »

Sure, I'm willing to take a look at them. Even the Norton Commander could be interesting.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I have my doubts, based on all the fake 1.00s we've seen so far, but it never hurts to take a look and make sure. So please upload this if possible.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

What are the dates of the files? If it is 17/08/1985 or 10/11/1985, I'm sure it's fake.

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

But, it's still very interesting ! :beta: :idea:
Hope this is not yet one of his fakes, again...

Do you have that from an old computer ?

Pluto950

Post by Pluto950 »

Can you give us a photo of the computer that runs it? thanks in advance
I'm gonna make him an [OFFER] he can't refuse.

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

This smells faaaaake.

Matriks404

Post by Matriks404 »

What is the computer? Maybe Microsoft released Windows Premiere Edition (the pre-release) to some OEM as 1.00?

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

@Pluto950 It will be impossible to have a picture of that computer as I found it in a computer recycle center, I was looking for a computer to take home and found the one with Windows 1.00. I only copied the disk and left the computer there to be recycled (as it is way too old).

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

And how exactly did you copy the disk?
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Sorry I can't upload the files now as I am comparing those files with Windows 1.0 PE and Windows 1.01. What I found interesting is that in the directory C:\DEMO, there were 7 files: A01.PIC, A02.PIC, CALENDAR.TXT, DEMO.EXE, DEMO02.PIC, DEMO03.PIC AND TEXT.TXT.

BTW, The text file is the famous heuristic reasoning file and all other files were unreadable. I bet those files are for older betas as Windows 1.00 can't even open them except for TEXT.TXT and DEMO.EXE shows an error message saying DEMO.ICO Missing.
Last edited by Lucas Brooks on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

@Battler Very hard, I first booted into a MS-DOS 3.30 floppy drive and it took me a long time for the computer to recognize the floppy because the computer was a bit broken!
Then I removed read-only, system and hidden attributes from COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, IO.SYS, IBMBIO.COM, BMDOS.COM and MSDOS.SYS, I copied all the files from C drive to my floppy and it was full. I used 6 floppy drives, copied all files from C:\DOS, C:\DEMO, C:\SGAMES and C:\WINDOWS to those floppy drives as they are too big to fit on a standard one.
It took me a long time to get those stupid files from the floppy to my Windows 10 laptop, I first put those files onto an old XP computer, put all those files together, put them into their original directories then put them onto a disc.
Finally, I put the disk on my Windows 10 laptop and put all those file on it.

BTW, I guess it is fake as the date for MSDOS.EXE, README.DOC, WIN.INI, were from 2014 and all other files were from 19th of May, 1984, 21st of July, 1985, 25th of July, 1985 and 2nd of August, 1985.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Didn't you say the machine also had Norton Commander? What version of it? What are its file dates and times?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:BTW, I guess it is fake as the date for MSDOS.EXE, README.DOC, WIN.INI, were from 2014 and all other files were from 19th of May, 1984, 21st of July, 1985, 25th of July, 1985 and 2nd of August, 1985.
Not necessarily. File dates can be altered during certain file operations. The best way to know for sure would be to do a binary comparison with all the leaked builds.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

ComputerHunter wrote:Sorry I can't upload the files now as I am comparing those files with Windows 1.0 PE and Windows 1.01. What I found interesting is that in the directory C:\DEMO, there were 7 files: A01.PIC, A02.PIC, CALENDAR.TXT, DEMO.EXE, DEMO02.PIC, DEMO03.PIC AND TEXT.TXT.

BTW, The text file is the famous heuristic reasoning file and all other files were unreadable. I bet those files are for older betas as Windows 1.00 can't even open them except for TEXT.TXT and DEMO.EXE shows an error message saying DEMO.ICO Missing.
You copied ALL the hard drive, I hope ? 8-) :cry:
When will you upload them, all files.... ? 8-)
Upload ALL in a RAR or ZIP, pls ?
Last edited by OltScript131 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Not to mention, what exactly stops him from RAR'ing up all the files, putting the RAR to upload, and in the mean time, comparing the non-RAR'ed copy of the files?

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Yes, confirmed fake, all the files in the Windows directory are modified versions of Windows 1.01. It has Norton Commander 2.01, from 1988/09/16 (confirmed real). I am not going to verify those games as they are probably real and I haven't herd of most of it. I think those demo files are real as well because of the heuristic reasoning file. The only thing that is fake is Windows.
@Battler, I didn't upload it because I started to think it is fake and don't want to upload a fake copy, I could upload the Norton Commander if you want.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Yes, the Norton Commander would be nice.

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

And upload Demo files too, please ! :D
It is important to recover files, too long lost, unfortunately... Since the time... ! :beta:

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

@Jajan131, Here you go:
https://mega.nz/#!ocU0RABS!TVAutJOWITgm ... OrSvieiOpk
I don't think those files are that important, all 4 pictures doesn't open, DEMO02 and DEMO03 have the same size as A02, so they might be just 1 picture and sadly, they were all made up of empty bytes (Seems like it has been wiped or there is a disk corruption), the text file is the heuristic reasoning file, half of it is gone (zeroed), but still recognizable. The DEMO.EXE for whatever reason doesn't work and I am pretty sure that they are from Windows 1.0 demos back in 1984.

BTW here is the full heuristic reasoning file:

Code: Select all

Heuristic reasoning is reasoning not regarded as final and strict but as provisional and plausible only, whose purpose is to discover the solution of the present problem. We are often obliged to use heuristic reasoning. We shall attain complete certainty when we shall obtain the complete solution, but before obtaining certainty we must often be satisfied with a more or less plausible guess. We may need the provisional before we attain the final.
@Battler, the Norton Commander is on the BA ftp https://www.betaarchive.com/database/vi ... f45b6c3f43, so no need to upload.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- ComputerHunter: Are you sure your Norton Commander is identical to the one on BA?

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

Thank ComputerHunter for 1984 Windows 1.0 betas Demos these are nice finds.

sagem
Donator

Post by sagem »

well if you have the money you can buy the real thing and its legit.
no I don't have that type of money I'm not rich
if you have a spear $220 nz you can buy the real thing.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1834476144

im on cb/ham radio you can get hold of me on skip days/night 41LWC407 41 is section new zealand and LWC407 is my call sig on 27.385 mhz and thats chn 38

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

That's just 1.01, so not sure how it relates to this topic

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

@Battler I don't have FTP access, so can't verify if they are same, however I verified from WinWorld and they are the same.