Windows Longhorn 4xxx series builds with XP/2003 SP1?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
iCoffee

Windows Longhorn 4xxx series builds with XP/2003 SP1?

Post by iCoffee »

Hi guys!

==================

So my question for today is... how can i successfully get a service pack embedded into a longhorn 4xxx build? (ps 3xxx builds are okay too, let me know) (ps I've tried with 3683, didn't work as planned)

YoshiFan111

Re: Windows Longhorn 4xxx series builds with XP/2003 SP1?

Post by YoshiFan111 »

I'd try installing Longhorn 3683 (example) and then try to install the service pack on top of 3683 (Since 3683 is just XP re-skinned technically IMO) I've never tried this mehod but it would be interesting to see if it works...
inactive account
i die of cringe everytime i look at my old 2018 posts

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

iCoffee wrote:So my question for today is... how can i successfully get a service pack embedded into a longhorn 4xxx build? (ps 3xxx builds are okay too, let me know) (ps I've tried with 3683, didn't work as planned)
YoshiFan111 wrote:I'd try installing Longhorn 3683 (example) and then try to install the service pack on top of 3683 (Since 3683 is just XP re-skinned technically IMO) I've never tried this mehod but it would be interesting to see if it works...
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

3XXX WAS NOT and IS NOT a "technically" reskinned XP. It is Server 2003 RC codebase with buggy client features slapped onto it. 4XXX builds deviated even more.

You can not install Windows XP service packs onto longhorn. Nor can you install Windows 2003 service packs. There is a reason it did not work.
Longhorn is roughly compatible with some SP2 programs, though it lacks functions like encodepointer and decodepointer that were introduced with sp2 for xp, and came with windows 2003 SP1.

Use the CSDVersion hack.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
DWORD 32bit "CSDVersion".
Decimal value 000 for no service pack, 100 for SP1(install msuaa and windows installer 3.1) 200 for SP2 everything else.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Trying to slipstream XP or Server 2003 service packs onto Longhorn is only going to end up with a broken install of the respective Windows version that the service pack was for.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

iCoffee

Post by iCoffee »

YoshiFan111 wrote:I'd try installing Longhorn 3683 (example) and then try to install the service pack on top of 3683 (Since 3683 is just XP re-skinned technically IMO) I've never tried this mehod but it would be interesting to see if it works...
Thanks for your useful advise, however i did comment that 3683 didn't work, but i technically didn't try to install XP sp1 after i installed it rather than slipstreaming it into the iso beforehand.