Can anybody help me figure out this Visual Studio disc?

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
mrtalida

Can anybody help me figure out this Visual Studio disc?

Post by mrtalida »

Hey all,

I've got this disc that looks like it is for Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 4, however, it has a very non-commercial looking label on it, and is marked "confidential." It originates from a game development studio that was working on an early game for the original Xbox. I don't know if it's a prerelease version, a weird one-off given to the studio, or maybe this is just how the service packs looked when they were distributed physically. Any clues on what this disc is?

Thanks for the help!

Note to admin: I wanted to follow the rules about uploading all images to your hosting, but I'm being blocked from doing so since I'm a new user.

Overdoze

Re: Can anybody help me figure out this Visual Studio disc?

Post by Overdoze »

If it has confidential written on it, it's most likely some kind of pre-release version or something else not distributed publicly. An interesting piece in any case. If you can try to install this to see how it looks like in action, you might learn more about it.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Can anybody help me figure out this Visual Studio disc?

Post by mrpijey »

Maybe you can upload this disc so we can take a look at the contents, it could be a prerelease SP4, or just an internal edition with additional tools etc. We have a couple of RTM confidential releases as well that doesn't differ much from the original retail copies.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP