Seeking a obscure, machine-specific Windows 2.11/386 patch

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
PTL

Seeking a obscure, machine-specific Windows 2.11/386 patch

Post by PTL »

So, I'm trying to get a PS/2 Model 80 restored with launch-era software but Windows 2.11/386 crashes on launch and dumps me back to the DOS prompt wordlessly when invoked as WIN86 (as opposed to WIN86) without a machine-specific patch. Unfortunately, without a KB ID or any info at all this patch seems to be lost - The only lead I could find even referencing it's existence is this IBM announcement for the revised 8580 models. anyone got any leads? thanks!
(Windows 2.11/386) Requires an additional software update from Microsoft. This update can be obtained by calling the microsoft support line at (206) 454-2030, then pressing '3' and '1' subsequently as prompted. Specify that you need the Windows/386 update for the Model 80 121 or 321.

TinaMeineKatze

Re: Seeking a obscure, machine-specific Windows 2.11/386 pat

Post by TinaMeineKatze »

Sadly, I cannot find a source for this either, but I found some newsgroup entries that may help you in solving your problem anyways.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... C7RcAwCAAJ

Sadly, I cannot test any of this or give you advice on how to solve it. But this might help.

I wish you the very best luck in solving this. And if you do somehow, please post how. It's always annoying when tech fails because of companies not supporting their stuff easily.

PTL

Post by PTL »

MisterArgent is actually me, funny enough. I haven't used the P.T.L. handle in years - hopped back on here for the first time in a while since I'm running out of leads.

TinaMeineKatze

Post by TinaMeineKatze »

Oh, so this didn't help much. Sorry. Then, all I can find online is from you.

(Source: https://xkcd.com/979/ )

But you may write an email to the MS support. I once had the luck of being connected to a guy really interested in the development, too. He couldn't quite acquire all of the information I asked for (very specific stuff), but we had a good talk.

Maybe this is somehow on the help-network. Give them a call and be very kind and it may work.

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

PTL wrote:So, I'm trying to get a PS/2 Model 80 restored with launch-era software but Windows 2.11/386 crashes on launch and dumps me back to the DOS prompt wordlessly when invoked as WIN86 (as opposed to WIN86) without a machine-specific patch.
Do you get any better results by directly executing KERNEL (or KRNL286 - I can't recall the name used then), and starting in slow boot mode? Possibly using the debug DLLs.

PTL

Post by PTL »

KERNEL under slow mode runs, but seems to launch as Win86. No upper memory is available and trying to run any DOS programs results in "386 system not correctly installed."

Also, if Windows/386 has a equivalent to KRNL286 none of my setup disk images i have handy seem to have it unfortunately.

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

PTL wrote:KERNEL under slow mode runs, but seems to launch as Win86. No upper memory is available and trying to run any DOS programs results in "386 system not correctly installed."
I'd have to rerun the version I was playing with under dosbox; as I recall, all one could do is ensure that the HMA is available, and then load the version of USER which expects to have access to the HMA (there being two versions of USER).

I never actually got Windows/386 to run in its 386 mode within dosbox, and didn't pursue it.
Also, if Windows/386 has a equivalent to KRNL286 none of my setup disk images i have handy seem to have it unfortunately.
Sorry - my memory playing up. Windows doesn't have such in Windows/386, it just has a VM manager providing multiple DOS machines, each of which can have EMS available.

PTL

Post by PTL »

Aye. On my other 386-based machines - a COMPAQ DeskPro 386, a COMPAQ Portable 386, and a IBM PS/2 55SX - Win386 was pretty much set it and forget it to about the same degree Windows 2.11/286 is. Unfortunately, I can't find any details on why the 8580's later revisions needed the patch, and the patch is seemingly nowhere to be found...