Does free Anti-virus exist for beta versions of Windows

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
HeathHayle

Does free Anti-virus exist for beta versions of Windows

Post by HeathHayle »

Hi guys just wondering if I use beta versions of Windows on the Internet what free anti-virus would be good to use etc?

DragonWars

Re: Does free Anti-virus exist for beta versions of Windows

Post by DragonWars »

if you find a decent compatible browser sure

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Post by WILSON2bGg »

The best antivirus for beta builds is common sense. If you don't go on shady websites or download shady stuff, you should be fine.
Hey what's up

HeathHayle

Post by HeathHayle »

thanks guys its just so hard thesedays cos adverts etc are everywhere as well also thinking about I meant Alpha not Beta cos Windows Longhorn is Alpha LOL!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Adblock can be a godsend for slower, less secure machines running modern browsers

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

WILSON2bGg wrote:don't go on shady websites or download shady stuff, you should be fine.
Also, don't transmit personal information from pre-release and unsupported builds. Not using such builds as your main OS helps as well.

It's also worth noting that not visiting malicious (or likely malicious) websites helps but doesn't guarantee protection from malware and OS-level vulerabilities, since vulnerabilities in legitimate websites are sometimes exploited. For example, malware can be present in ads.

HeathHayle

Post by HeathHayle »

Ah ok I was going to use it as my main OS but that isn't advisable then?

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Not really, especially if you are going to do anything involving personal information i.e. email, banking, etc. The chance of your info becoming compromised or your computer infected is low but still significant. Using an unsupported and obscure operating system isn't for the faint of heart, but the adventurous who don't mind software & hardware compatibility issues, random crashing & corruption, and the occasional virus. It's doable, but if you have actual work to do it's not ideal.

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

HeathHayle wrote:Ah ok I was going to use it as my main OS but that isn't advisable then?
Many people come on here in the hopes of running a certain beta OS as their main OS. It's just a really, really bad idea, how novel it might be. Remember that these betas never get subsequent security patches. So a Longhorn beta from, say, 2004, will have 14 years worth of security patches and whatnot missing. Now, do you feel safe using this operating system for private matters? The best you can really do is tweak a modern version of Windows, perhaps 7, 8.1 or even 10 LTSB/LTSC, to make it resemble as closely as possible to the beta OS you would want to run daily. I get the appeal, because some beta operating systems look really nice compared to contemporary operating systems now, but it's just not a wise decision.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

If you want to run a Windows pre-release as your main OS, just join the insider program.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Caveria

Post by Caveria »

Some beta Windows OSes can run anti-virus program example of build 4093, but I don't know more, which build can run it.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

Just saying, the Windows Insider Program is now trash. I've been using it since it was released 4 years ago and it was much better then. Now, there's just very little changes done to the UI/UX. I would argue that any development that was done, especially in the Longhorn era, was far more exciting. Not any new wallpapers or sounds been introduced and it seems very repetitive.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Offtopic Comment
It's not so much trash as it is just less exciting than before. MS' update schedule was really fast at launch but has slowed down over time. Given that they force updates on us users I hope they can clean up their act and spend time actually fixing bugs now instead of piling on more features no one wants that break parts of the os.

LarryTN7722

Post by LarryTN7722 »

5259 has AntiSpyware, but I think it sometimes works.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

gtgamer468 wrote:Just saying, the Windows Insider Program is now trash. I've been using it since it was released 4 years ago and it was much better then. Now, there's just very little changes done to the UI/UX.
What? Incremental improvements instead of a yearly revolution make WIP trash? I'm completely baffled by your logic. The whole reason why Windows 10 isn't a complete dumpster fire today is because of incremental improvements and small additions. There are a plenty of valid points to criticize WIP about, but that is definitely not one of them.
gtgamer468 wrote:I would argue that any development that was done, especially in the Longhorn era, was far more exciting.
Vista can be used as an example of how not to develop a product. Half of Vista's development was a disaster, and required Microsoft to reset its development (i.e. throw away nearly all of their work!) to get a usable product. Believe me, the lack of Longhorn-era "excitement" is without doubt a good thing.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?