Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
cplyakap

Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?

Post by cplyakap »

Is there a way to add Media Center into 64-bit XP? I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.' How to succeed it?

Windows Thunderstruck

Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

XP Media Center was always 32 bit only, and Microsoft never made a 64 bit XP Media Center Edition.

So the answer is no.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

You could convert the edition of XP 64 bit to Media Center using TweakNT, and then maybe trying out

BF10

Post by BF10 »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:You could convert the edition of XP 64 bit to Media Center using TweakNT, and then maybe trying out
Uh, no. It only changes the branding but doesn't add the applications.

BetaWiki contributor.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

But could it change editions? It might be possible.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:XP Media Center was always 32 bit only, and Microsoft never made a 64 bit XP Media Center Edition.

So the answer is no.
I think the question is whether it's possible to transplant the media center app from XP MCE to XP Pro x64.
A few people online have been able to graft it onto XP home, so maybe? I'm not really familiar with how much of the codebase is shared.

Windows Thunderstruck

MrBurgerKing wrote:
Windows Thunderstruck wrote:XP Media Center was always 32 bit only, and Microsoft never made a 64 bit XP Media Center Edition.

So the answer is no.
I think the question is whether it's possible to transplant the media center app from XP MCE to XP Pro x64.
A few people online have been able to graft it onto XP home, so maybe? I'm not really familiar with how much of the codebase is shared.
Well, the original XP 64 bit version was for the Itanium and based off the original Windows XP codebase.

And XP 64-Bit Version 2003 and Professional x64 Edition were both based off Server 2003's codebase.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

BF10 wrote:
SistemaRayoXP wrote:You could convert the edition of XP 64 bit to Media Center using TweakNT, and then maybe trying out
cplyakap wrote:I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.'
If he can install MCE from MCE components CD, he doesn't needs the apps by themselves. The process to install MCE into 64 bit Windows XP is mostly the same as converting XP Home and Pro to MCE, just this time you add the 64 bit. Note that MCE is 32 bit, so by running MCE in 64 bit Windows will run them in 32 bit mode.

As a side note, I remember using a Longhorn build which had MCE (It was in the 3xxx early 4xxx range) and Longhorn had 64 bit images since some build, I don't remember which one but there might be a LH build with MCE and in 64 bit if you have enough luck

Windows Thunderstruck

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
BF10 wrote:
cplyakap wrote:I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.'
If he can install MCE from MCE components CD, he doesn't needs the apps by themselves. The process to install MCE into 64 bit Windows XP is mostly the same as converting XP Home and Pro to MCE, just this time you add the 64 bit. Note that MCE is 32 bit, so by running MCE in 64 bit Windows will run them in 32 bit mode.

As a side note, I remember using a Longhorn build which had MCE (It was in the 3xxx early 4xxx range) and Longhorn had 64 bit images since some build, I don't remember which one but there might be a LH build with MCE and in 64 bit if you have enough luck
About the Longhorn thing, 3683 to 3718 had MCE on the disk itself.

None of the pre-reset Longhorn 64-bit builds had Media Center on them.

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

Vista Longhorn 5384 x64 has Media Center:

LarryTN7722

Post by LarryTN7722 »

Beta12 wrote:Vista Longhorn 5384 x64 has Media Center:
Also, 5219, 5270 and 5308 x64 have Media Center. They're all Vista but anyway.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

But any of those have Vista's Media Center, not like the prereset builds which have XP's Media Center