Microsoft ISO Repository

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Fapstation

Microsoft ISO Repository

Post by Fapstation »

Do you guys already tried to download a official ISO from your old and scratched disc? My case happened when I try to download the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business.

Now Im thinking, create a repository, where I will try to gather as many of them, and make it available for download, would it be illegal? I mean the juridic thing, such as receiving a notification to c&d from MS?

gtgamer468

Re: Microsoft ISO Repository

Post by gtgamer468 »

Are you requesting it or offering it? Also, the FTP server already has dumps of various Office 2007 versions and older. And so are Windows Vista and older versions of Windows. If you want to create your own repository, just get FTP Access and download them for your own personal use. However, I'm not sure if you can share them outside of the forum but not certainly to other members who don't have FTP Access as it's against forum rules.

Fapstation

Post by Fapstation »

My plan is a website where you choose between Windows and Office, the version and the language, and simple download the ISO.

As said before, are legal share MS ISOs?

Resident007

Post by Resident007 »

Fapstation wrote:My plan is a website where you choose between Windows and Office, the version and the language, and simple download the ISO.

Well, I don't think it's fully legal unless you're only going to upload versions that can be described as Abandonware (>=10 years since the day of release) or beta versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Post by WILSON2bGg »

If your plan is to take BA versions and leak them, don't.
Hey what's up

Fapstation

Post by Fapstation »

WILSON2bGg wrote:If your plan is to take BA versions and leak them, don't.
Naaah, for this we have WinWorldPC.

I just want upload complete versions, e.g: Windows 7 SP1 PT-BR, Windows 7 SP1 EN-US, like the MSDN ISOs, for who havent acess on MSDN (like me lol).

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I would say definitely don't do it as you can get banned permanently from the forum, even if you did have FTP Access. Obtaining these software took so much effort and you are simply going to share them to some site? The members who shared their abandonware versions of Windows and Office would definitely not approve of what you would do.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Resident007 wrote:
Fapstation wrote:My plan is a website where you choose between Windows and Office, the version and the language, and simple download the ISO.

Well, I don't think it's fully legal unless you're only going to upload versions that can be described as Abandonware (>=10 years since the day of release) or beta versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
[Disclaimer Not A Lawyer]
While consumers are really paying for the license and not the disk, duplicating and sharing Microsoft's ISOs would still be violating their copyright. The exemptions depend on the country. If we are talking about newer stuff, Microsoft may argue market harm.
I'd think the chances of getting a c&d from them are lower if you don't make any money or distribute cracks. Maybe staff/lawyers can provide more insight here?
Last edited by MrBurgerKing on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjd2

Post by tjd2 »

But there is Techbench ISO downloader. It's able to download windows 7 and newer

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

tjd2 wrote:But there is Techbench ISO downloader. It's able to download windows 7 and newer
[Disclaimer not a lawyer]
Yes, but that's a tool that downloads publicly available isos from Microsoft's own servers legally. They own the rights to their own software, they just choose to make the disks readily available. OP wants to copy and distribute Microsoft IP without owning those rights, which could violate copyright. There are exemptions, but those depend on the country.

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Post by WILSON2bGg »

Just saying, BetaArchive is pretty much an ISO archive for the unsupported operating systems and most supported ones you can find if you have a key.
Hey what's up