Are any Odyssey Builds known?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
OdysseyNeptune

Are any Odyssey Builds known?

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

Are any Odyssey Builds known? Or at least its NT Kernel version?

Random_User
Donator

Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?

Post by Random_User »

None have been confirmed. It is unknown whether or not any exist.

According to a Paul Thurrott article, the version number is 6.0

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

A lot of the codenames exist solely for the developers to secure funding of development, even if it's just an outline of features for a future version of Windows - and not even launching products. This is common in most companies with boards that handle all the money.

Odyssey was likely the R&D codename of ideas on paper that became the ideas for NT6 - which would have been an extension/continuation of the Cairo vision. Microsoft wanted to realize all of the Cairo vision ideas, by the end of the decade - in a shipping product. BlackComb was another name that was quickly swept under the rug by the time that LongHorn began actual development. Again, a name set aside for funding by the board.
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Post by WILSON2bGg »

I don't know if they do. We probably never will unless Microsoft discloses information around them or lets people who know under NDA talk about them. I would not believe screenshots though if they come from sketchy places or look sketchy
Hey what's up

OdysseyNeptune

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

I do know however, that Odyssey was indeed in development.

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

Odyssey was in development, but that implies nothing about whether or not any builds were compiled (development includes planning).

OdysseyNeptune

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

The antitrust documents do say that "From our work on Neptune, Odyssey and other projects..." Which probably means that it could be compiled; Wikipedia (although i doubt this information) says that there was a new UI, and that it was shelved because of "High hardware requirements, and because Neptune had the same codebase"

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

OdysseyNeptune wrote:The antitrust documents do say that "From our work on Neptune, Odyssey and other projects..." Which probably means that it could be compiled;
More likely it just means they were doing extensive planning, prototyping, etc. before doing any actual work on the code.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

OdysseyNeptune

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

Why do people say it wasn't compiled? It was begun at the same time as Neptune; it would obviously have compiled builds. However, i am sure Triton was never compiled.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

OdysseyNeptune wrote:It was begun at the same time as Neptune; it would obviously have compiled builds.
That is a pretty bold claim to make, considering there's very little known about the project. It's not even mentioned in the Neptune plans from 1998, when work on Neptune was already under way. In fact, the name Odyssey is only mentioned once in the antitrust documents (what you referred to a couple posts above), at least as far as I know. If you have any other information regarding Odyssey from the antitrust documents that indicate it was more than just a bunch of ideas an plans, then please, by all means share this information with us.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

OdysseyNeptune

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

I have a bit more, in the antitrust documents, it briefly mentions NT6. Odyssey could have a version number of 6.0, because it states "...Neptune/NT6 Team..."
And yes, it was begun at the same time; Odyssey does have a build or two maybe, less than Neptune for sure, but it probably had some builds.

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

OdysseyNeptune wrote:Odyssey does have a build or two maybe, less than Neptune for sure, but it probably had some builds.
The statements in bold contradict each other. The former suggests that you know for sure that some Odyssey builds were compiled, while the latter conveys uncertainty on the issue.

Which one is it? Do you know for sure, or do you just suspect that there were some builds?

OdysseyNeptune

Post by OdysseyNeptune »

Well, by "probably some" i meant probably some more than 1 or 2

Mister RoyFoy1

Post by Mister RoyFoy1 »

I always liked the name of this OS. Shame it probably isn't a actual thing.

TheOtherGuy

Post by TheOtherGuy »

OdysseyNeptune wrote:Are any Odyssey Builds known? Or at least its NT Kernel version?
If one were known within the community it would already be documented on someone's wiki by now.