The existence of Office 2007 Basic

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
ismaax

The existence of Office 2007 Basic

Post by ismaax »

Hello everyone !
It happens so that I own a sealed copy of Office 2007 Basic in French. I wanted to know if it was considered as abandonware and if it was in the server.
Fun fact, I didn't know that such a version went out. I think it was only given through new computers back in the day.

The second question I wanted to ask you was if any one of you knew this release and ever used it.

Have a great day !
Ismael

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: The existence of Office 2007 Basic

Post by mrpijey »

It's not on the server so you're free to contribute it if you wish.

From what I know Office 2007 Basic is an OEM edition of Office, there has been earlier Basic versions which all were OEMs.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

That's great, but for what PC manufacturer is it from?

ismaax

Post by ismaax »

Hello everyone and thanks for your answer !

I didn't know that Office Basic existed. So my theory of having this bundled with new PCs is quite correct.

The copy I have still-sealed came with a Dell computer. So I guess it was offered when their computers had Vista back in the day.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

It must be a trial version, however and you had to purchase a key before you can use it. I hardly ever heard of a PC in factory settings with the bloatware having an activated version of Microsoft Office unless it's a gaming PC like Alienware. I'm, however not saying that a key was not issued since I had a Dell PC that came with Works Suite (I shared it to the FTP) and it had a key.

ismaax

Post by ismaax »

The CD case that comes with it comes from Microsoft, it just has a MS sticker in the back with the serial key and the Dell logo.
If I'm brave enough one day, I'll rip the seal and submit it.
With the presence of a serial key I doubt it is a trial version.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Yes it's not a trial, its a full version. You couldn't buy basic officially, they were only sold to OEMs and distributed with new machines. It usually came pre-installed, and had to be activated by the user with the product key in the manual. Like other versions of Office 07, you can use it a limited number of times without activation before it makes you put the key in.

ismaax

Post by ismaax »

Alright I got it now. Thank you all for your answers.
I will take some time in the following weeks to rip the CD and submit it to the FTP.

Have a nice everybody !