VMWare + Longhorn/Whistler and such

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
roseywhite01

VMWare + Longhorn/Whistler and such

Post by roseywhite01 »

I'm planning to run some beta Windows versions on VMWare, a quick question what is a better version for running them on? I'm running on an early gen netbook, so no Intel virtualisation tech is present on the processor level, so I understand it would be slow.

I'm particularly looking at middle-development Whistler and pre-reset Longhorn, as well as 5048 and 5112.

ME final on VPC 2004 works okay, not sure about VPC 04 on other (beta) OSes...

Also going to mention: 4053 is a particular build I'd like to use on LH pre reset.

Valerio

Re: VMWare + Longhorn/Whistler and such

Post by Valerio »

An early-gen netbook you say? You got to be a little more specific about that if you want to get a better answer, but I'll try my best. I suppose it has at least a dual-core processor right? Perhaps belonging to the Intel Atom family? I hope so because if it's one of those netbooks who got a single-core Atom (I have one) I'm not sure if they can run a Longhorn virtual machine decently. Anyway, since you said your laptop is not that powerful and you are aiming to try Whistler and Longhorn (and not anything newer), I think you'd like to install an older and perhaps lighter version of VMware right? Well, I think that even a version as old as VMware 6.0 would be okay for those operating systems. I remember it worked okay on Windows 7, not sure about a newer OS such as Windows 10. VMware 6.5/7.0 introduced support for Aero glass, useful if you would like to try Aero on builds such as Longhorn build 4074 or 5048, but it depends on how powerful your laptop is, hence why I'd like you to show off your specs.

roseywhite01

Post by roseywhite01 »

Really should have mentioned it was a single core Atom N270 lol. I do have VPC 2004 installed atm which runs ME decently and it has been upgraded to 2GB DDR2 RAM.

The model: Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA

I'd assume VPC 04 could handle pretty well things as it waa designed for older processors, like the Pentium 3, and was a product from the time and was likely used in Longhorn testing itself.

07 is a no-go as the additions broke my Me VM last time I tried.

I'll give VMware 6 (or the equivalent Player version) a go, though.

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Oooh, I have an Atom N270 netbook too! I recommend you then VMware 6.0, which is also officially compatible with pre-reset Longhorn builds somewhat, as it has its own configuration for it when you choose the OS you want to install (Windows Longhorn Experimental, if I remember correctly). That said, VMware 6.0 and 512 MB of RAM for Longhorn builds will do the job probably. Whistler will probably run way better, but Longhorn could run okay too. No point in trying anything newer than VMware 6.0, since your netbook can't run Aero in a VM. Just in case you didn't know you can run Aero only in Longhorn build 5048, as it is possible to activate the glass windows in that build without graphics acceleration too (you'll get no effects though such as the one when you open a window or restore it, but you'll get the glass frames).

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

whistler 5.5, as 5.5 is great for XP and below, and light on resources
lh/vista betas 6.5 (as both 6.0 and 6.5 do same on resource except .5 supports svga2/aero)

BF10

Post by BF10 »

Also by specific builds, 2419 and above are the more easier Whistler builds to install (your setup may hang for 2296 and below). Usually the 4xxx Longhorn builds takes a little more effort to install (especially the builds with the Slate theme), but are all still possible. 5xxx can also be installed although with 5.5-6.0 compatibility. With the best configuration you can even get working Aero on builds that will allow it.

BetaWiki contributor.