BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 13h, 41m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5560MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:28 pm 

I found an old XP disc that was in a paper pocket thing, the top is in a red box that says "Includes Service Pack 1a". I searched up what the differences are, and I cannot seem to find any notable differences apart from the JVM thing being removed. Is this is the only difference between SP1 and SP1a?

(Picture as evidence of so called SP1a.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:30 pm 

Yes. The only reason of that build was remove every single bit of the MSJVM. The MSJVM was also the reason why you can't find Win95 OSR-2, Win98, WinME and Win2000 prior to SP4 ISOs in MSDN, and all the references to these OSs, along with any SDK, DDK and MSDN documentation was removed, and these versions became automatically unsupported.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm 

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Yes. The only reason of that build was remove every single bit of the MSJVM. The MSJVM was also the reason why you can't find Win95 OSR-2, Win98, WinME and Win2000 prior to SP4 ISOs in MSDN, and all the references to these OSs, along with any SDK, DDK and MSDN documentation was removed, and these versions became automatically unsupported.

I see, thank you!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
The MSJVM was also the reason why you can't find Win95 OSR-2, Win98, WinME and Win2000 prior to SP4 ISOs in MSDN, and all the references to these OSs, along with any SDK, DDK and MSDN documentation was removed, and these versions became automatically unsupported.

Even back in the days of Sun, Java was (and still is) somewhat risky in the legal side. By that point in time, Sun didn't like MS so much and MS put C# into the wild which rubbed some salt in the wound. My best guess on why this removal of the JVM had to be done as a slight change to SP1 is to act as a tie-breaker to circumvent getting a cease and desist from Sun as they quietly remove it in future masterings of XP installations and the burst of the dot-com bubble scared people off the Internet for a while, but I'm not sure if the latter affected consumers receiving Windows Updates. Microsoft was quite lucky to cover up their JVM this early on.
Offtopic Comment

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 am 
Donator

JackArchive wrote:
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
The MSJVM was also the reason why you can't find Win95 OSR-2, Win98, WinME and Win2000 prior to SP4 ISOs in MSDN, and all the references to these OSs, along with any SDK, DDK and MSDN documentation was removed, and these versions became automatically unsupported.

Even back in the days of Sun, Java was (and still is) somewhat risky in the legal side. By that point in time, Sun didn't like MS so much and MS put C# into the wild which rubbed some salt in the wound. My best guess on why this removal of the JVM had to be done as a slight change to SP1 is to act as a tie-breaker to circumvent getting a cease and desist from Sun as they quietly remove it in future masterings of XP installations and the burst of the dot-com bubble scared people off the Internet for a while, but I'm not sure if the latter affected consumers receiving Windows Updates. Microsoft was quite lucky to cover up their JVM this early on.
Offtopic Comment

I'm not so sure you know the history of what is going on here. Microsoft had a competing JVM in the mid-90's and it went in tandum with the J++ development environment. When starting a project, it straight up asked you if you wanted to use Microsoft Extensions and clicking yes made your project not java compatible except on Windows. The second kicker was that the Microsoft JVM was so much faster than Suns that if you were using J++, you were targeting Windows, and you really didn't care about any other OS, which was fine, because most home desktops didn't run much else at this point. Sun sued and won so the whole thing was scrubbed from existence because .NET was on its way in.

Google didn't approach Java in the same way at all. They have a dev environment that is almost totally *source* compatible with Java, but isn't Java. This isn't the same thing as Microsoft being *binary* and source compatible, except when you chose to use MS extensions

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
RentedMule wrote:
I'm not so sure you know the history of what is going on here. Microsoft had a competing JVM in the mid-90's and it went in tandum with the J++ development environment. When starting a project, it straight up asked you if you wanted to use Microsoft Extensions and clicking yes made your project not java compatible except on Windows. The second kicker was that the Microsoft JVM was so much faster than Suns that if you were using J++, you were targeting Windows, and you really didn't care about any other OS, which was fine, because most home desktops didn't run much else at this point. Sun sued and won so the whole thing was scrubbed from existence because .NET was on its way in.

Google didn't approach Java in the same way at all. They have a dev environment that is almost totally *source* compatible with Java, but isn't Java. This isn't the same thing as Microsoft being *binary* and source compatible, except when you chose to use MS extensions

Yeah, I don't tend to be too accurate with facts like the MSJVM case. Hence why I was unsure in places with that post as I might've been wrong. But oh well, par for the course in learning from corrections. Kudos. :?
Although the "Sun suing and won" part does prove how risky Java can be in the legal level.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Differences between XP SP1 and SP1a?        Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:40 pm 

I think the SP1a removed the Java virtual machine in early 2003. This minor update for SP1.

Top  Profile