Pieces of Cairo's History

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
ReflectiaX

Pieces of Cairo's History

Post by ReflectiaX »

Here's a neat handful of pieces of Cairo history. The burned disc of NT build 297 appears to contain Cairo Milestone 4 bits, all of which was used for an ISV demo/feedback tour in 1993. A quick quote from the patent I linked to there:
In a preferred embodiment, the database 102 may generally be of a type which is known in the art, such as a collection of text objects supported by Cairo Milestone 4 running under the Windows NT system version 297...
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Visit BetaCollector.com for rare and unique beta-related content!

LangsamSpieler

Re: Pieces of Cairo's History

Post by LangsamSpieler »

Interesting what Microsoft did have of visions 1993, because not much peoples know example the real Cairo 1175 Beta and can’t believe what they see.
416175:38 BetaArchive Registration
416176:06 First BetaArchive Post
4251811:32 Archive Access Granted

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

Nice finds!

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Offtopic Comment
Illuminati confirmed!
Besides, The pyramid of Illuminati probably comes from Cairo, which has the Pyramids.
If there was a Cairo 1175 (leaked in 2017), and a Cairo 854 (leaked in 2010), I cannot see it difficult for a 297 to exist...

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

Last I checked, Windows NT 3.50 Build 854 was not confirmed to be a build of Cairo.

It may just be a post-RTM build of Windows NT 3.50.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Random_User wrote:Last I checked, Windows NT 3.50 Build 854 was not confirmed to be a build of Cairo.

It may just be a post-RTM build of Windows NT 3.50.
Pretty much. It has that OFS driver and newshell, but beyond that it's just NT 3.50. Looks to me like they were just testing things on a post-RTM build.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

ReflectiaX wrote:The burned disc of NT build 297 appears to contain Cairo Milestone 4 bits, all of which was used for an ISV demo/feedback tour in 1993.
According to my search results, ISV stands for Independent Software Vendors, in case anyone is wondering.

Is the 1993 ISV demo/feedback tour the same as the 1993 Professional Developers Conference?

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Random_User wrote:
ReflectiaX wrote:The burned disc of NT build 297 appears to contain Cairo Milestone 4 bits, all of which was used for an ISV demo/feedback tour in 1993.
According to my search results, ISV stands for Independent Software Vendors, in case anyone is wondering.

Is the 1993 ISV demo/feedback tour the same as the 1993 Professional Developers Conference?
No, they're different events. "ISV demo/feedback tour" wasn't so much an event tour as it was just certain Microsoft employees flying out to high-end ISV partners to demo new technology and acquire feedback to take back to PMs/devs.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

That reminds me: do you have that 297 disc?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Overdoze wrote:That reminds me: do you have that 297 disc?
If you mean the CD-R, unfortunately, that's not mine. The person whose it is still thinks of it in extremely strict terms, so I think that picture is about as far as we'll ever get of Cairo atop that build. :(

TheWinnerCollector111

Post by TheWinnerCollector111 »

ReflectiaX wrote:
If you mean the CD-R, unfortunately, that's not mine. The person whose it is still thinks of it in extremely strict terms, so I think that picture is about as far as we'll ever get of Cairo atop that build. :(
If you know them then i would ask them to leak it and give them a couple good reasons why. Maybe even offer money for it if you can.

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

TheWinnerCollector111 wrote:
ReflectiaX wrote:
If you know them then i would ask them to leak it and give them a couple good reasons why. Maybe even offer money for it if you can.
I've already broached the topic with the person; he'll be taking the build (and who knows what else he still has) to his grave, most likely. The exclusivity of relics from the past like this means more to him now than it did during his tenure. The extent of preservation he cares about is the official route, through the Microsoft Archives. Money is no object to this person, either. Even if I offered him $1,000 for it, I'd might as well be offering pennies, lol.

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

thats quite devoted on his side
hats off to him

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

ReflectiaX wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am
Here's a neat handful of pieces of Cairo history. The burned disc of NT build 297 appears to contain Cairo Milestone 4 bits, all of which was used for an ISV demo/feedback tour in 1993. A quick quote from the patent I linked to there:
In a preferred embodiment, the database 102 may generally be of a type which is known in the art, such as a collection of text objects supported by Cairo Milestone 4 running under the Windows NT system version 297...
(snip)
Can't believe everyone missed the screenshots of the build in the linked patent. Images are uploaded in the BA Wiki.