BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 9h, 47m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 2815MB of 4563MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 pm 

Favourite OS
All Windows operating systems
I'm currently trying to get FTP Access, and yes I did read the guide on how to properly dump software and get access to the FTP server, but there are still a few things that I don't get about getting access. I mean, I believe I could be making progress with what I tried so far, but there's still some things that I don't understand very well.

Here are the things I'm confused with:

1. If you are creating an MDF file in Alcohol 120%, like I'm doing, how do I upload it to the FTP server afterwords?

2. Do you accept re-installation discs for operating systems? Because according to the "Unacceptable software" section of that guide, it says that recovery discs would be practically useless unless you own the matching hardware, but are recovery discs for operating systems an exception?

3. If you do not have a CD/DVD cover of the operating system/software you want to upload, would you still accept that upload? Because mrpijey says that that's recommended if you upload something to the FTP, but almost all of the discs I have came in disc envelopes, not disc covers.

That's all for now.

I actually do have a couple legal discs that might fit the FTP, but I'm not sure if they would be worth uploading or not.

Any answers?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 pm 
Administrator

JonathonWyble wrote:
I'm currently trying to get FTP Access, and yes I did read the guide on how to properly dump software and get access to the FTP server, but there are still a few things that I don't get about getting access. I mean, I believe I could be making progress with what I tried so far, but there's still some things that I don't understand very well.

Here are the things I'm confused with:

1. If you are creating an MDF file in Alcohol 120%, like I'm doing, how do I upload it to the FTP server afterwords?

Read these:

viewtopic.php?p=421622#p421622
servers/

You must be familiar with FTP clients, we recommend Filezilla.

JonathonWyble wrote:
2. Do you accept re-installation discs for operating systems? Because according to the "Unacceptable software" section of that guide, it says that recovery discs would be practically useless unless you own the matching hardware, but are recovery discs for operating systems an exception?

No.

JonathonWyble wrote:
3. If you do not have a CD/DVD cover of the operating system/software you want to upload, would you still accept that upload? Because mrpijey says that that's recommended if you upload something to the FTP, but almost all of the discs I have came in disc envelopes, not disc covers.

Covers will be fine as long as they are originals. Be sure to scan everything according to the guide. The guide is the key to all your questions.

JonathonWyble wrote:
That's all for now.

I actually do have a couple legal discs that might fit the FTP, but I'm not sure if they would be worth uploading or not.

Offer them in the Offers section and we'll let you know :).

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:07 am 

mrpijey wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

No.

Certain restore discs can still be wanted by others. It would be great if anything not already available online could be shared through 3rd party site like archive.org

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am 
Administrator

Yes, of course they can be offered on the forum and shared on external sites, but we won't add it to the FTP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm 

Favourite OS
All Windows operating systems
One more thing. It says on the contributions page that application approval can take up to seven days. So do I apply for FTP Access right after I upload my file? Or do I have to wait until after my application is approved to apply for FTP Access?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 pm 
Administrator

How can you wait for an application to be approved before you make said application for FTP access? Time travel?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
You confused me. You are reffering to the fact that you can't applicate for FTP Access before you have at least one uploaded contribution?
Offtopic Comment
Time travel is real

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Things I Do Not Understand About Getting FTP Access        Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 am 
Administrator

Exactly, you apply for member FTP access after you uploaded your contribution.

Top  Profile  WWW