Since which build is Windows Vista compatible with HD audio?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Valerio

Since which build is Windows Vista compatible with HD audio?

Post by Valerio »

Hi! I want to play around with some Windows Vista's beta builds (from 5048 onwards) and since I'd like to have the most complete experience, I would like to know since which build is Realtek HD Audio supported. If I'm not wrong my sound card codec should be Realtek ALC269. I hope not to get told something like "test every build and find it out by yourself" because you know, it would take a very long time considering how much time it takes to install them. So if anybody in here knows the answer to my question, please help me, I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

oscareczek

Re: Since which build is Windows Vista compatible with HD au

Post by oscareczek »

Wikipedia says build 5112 "introduced many of the underlying technologies slated for Vista, including the new networking and audio stacks, parental controls, and fairly complete working build of .NET Framework 3.0, then still referred to as WinFX." Therefore, I'd try everything between 5048 and 5112.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

oscareczek wrote:Therefore, I'd try everything between 5048 and 5112.
There is not a lot of stuff between 5048 and 5112...
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Oh, right, didn't look at thecollectionbook :P Then yeah, you have 2 builds to check (if Wikipedia says truth)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Well actually all builds of vista are technically HD audio capable. You just got to jump through hoops to apply the msuaa patch.

I know for pre-reset you'd have to mess with the registry to make windows think its runng sp2 when you apply the patch in xp compatibility mode.
Wouldn't doubt it if the same technique would work with the early post reset.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Show me the proof of 4074 running HD Audio. I dare you.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

... but he says it shoukd work on all builds (he tested it with 3718 and 4015)

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get HD audio working on Longhorn build 4042 days ago by using the official update from Microsoft in order to get the bus driver working and then I modified the Realtek drivers in order to let them install from Device Manager (didn't work on build 4074 though), and it worked, but the audio was corrupted most of the times, sounds and music didn't play as intended. What I'd actually like to know is since which build Vista natively supports HD audio without the need of any tricks regarding CSDVersion and without installing any updates. I think I'll try build 5212 (never tried that one before). I am also not sure about this, but perhaps something changed after build 5231, since in that build there were several improvements regarding the audio and volume control if I remember correctly.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Strange. I had a laptop with realtek audio and it happily ran with no problems. I also had one with IDT audio and it ran well.

Mind telling me what realtek version you used?

BTW, AFAIR 5231 ran hdaudio out of the box. It was one of the builds I ran on a latitude xt, with sigmatel hdaudio.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Sorry for the late reply guys, I recently installed Longhorn build 5048 and I got sound to work without any issues and easily too! I saw that post-reset builds have the HD Audio bus driver already pre-installed, so there was no need to install that update meant for XP, I only had to install the Realtek HD Audio drivers with modified .inf files from Device Manager and everything worked like a charm :D. Oh, @yourepicfailure, Device Manager says that Realtek HD Audio drivers are version 5.10.0.5612. The PC I am using is an Asus EeePC 1000H, I downloaded the driver for XP from their support website if you're interested.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

XP SP3 is compatible with hd audio, and there was an update in XP SP2 that contained the HD bus driver. But Vista Final did not require to install any drivers to get sound from HD uadio devices. It "just worked" out of the box. And I think the real question is since which build Vista contained this driver, that didn't require to install any Realtek (Or Conexant or Gigabyte or any external) driver to get sound.

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:XP SP3 is compatible with hd audio, and there was an update in XP SP2 that contained the HD bus driver. But Vista Final did not require to install any drivers to get sound from HD uadio devices. It "just worked" out of the box. And I think the real question is since which build Vista contained this driver, that didn't require to install any Realtek (Or Conexant or Gigabyte or any external) driver to get sound.
That was part of the new audio stack that was introduced in Vista. (it allows per-app volume control and so on)
I'd say that the new audio stack was added somewhere in the 52xx build era

EDIT: Confirmed, it was introduced in build 5209 (obviously compiled by media_core)
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.