Update 9x to NT Impossible ?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Mattdow
Permanently Banned

Update 9x to NT Impossible ?

Post by Mattdow »

hello, from windows 98 I tried to update it to 2000 but the setup.exe tells me it's impossible? Why ? would be a core problem?

LangsamSpieler

Re: Update 9x to NT Impossible ?

Post by LangsamSpieler »

Windows 98 are in FAT, 2000 can working too with that, but it's not possible to upgrade it because a other System line then Win98
416175:38 BetaArchive Registration
416176:06 First BetaArchive Post
4251811:32 Archive Access Granted

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Mattdow wrote:hello, from windows 98 I tried to update it to 2000 but the setup.exe tells me it's impossible? Why ? would be a core problem?
A Windows 98 to Windows 2000 upgrade is certainly possible, but there could be certain compatibility issues that prevent it from happening.
I recall that the Windows 2000 setup program produces a detailed report describing all of the possible upgrade issues. Before coming here for help, you should really check there.

(On the contrary, an in-place upgrade of Windows 9x to NT 4 is generally impossible: the setup program is not designed for that)

BF10

Post by BF10 »

It is possible to upgrade to Windows 2000 (and Windows XP) from Windows 9x. I tried running the setup on Windows 98SE and Windows ME when I was trying to upgrade from Windows 1.0 to Windows XP and they ran through the entire setup fine.
xelloss wrote:
Mattdow wrote:hello, from windows 98 I tried to update it to 2000 but the setup.exe tells me it's impossible? Why ? would be a core problem?
A Windows 98 to Windows 2000 upgrade is certainly possible, but there could be certain compatibility issues that prevent it from happening.
I recall that the Windows 2000 setup program produces a detailed report describing all of the possible upgrade issues. Before coming here for help, you should really check there.

(On the contrary, an in-place upgrade of Windows 9x to NT 4 is generally impossible: the setup program is not designed for that)
Yes, it does a compatibility check before the setup copies the files. Surprisingly, even after having many components from Windows 1.0 through Windows ME, the setup was still satisfied when I tested it. It still said that some applications may have to be reinstalled to work on NT kernel.

BetaWiki contributor.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

If you install windows 9x, say on a fat32 partition, and then install windows 2k on top of it, the 9x dos stuff will be moved to a hidden directory msdos7, and the install goes on completely. See, eg http://reboot.pro/topic/18130-ms-dos-7-help-file/ posts 5-10.