BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 0h, 25m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 5547MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Update 9x to NT Impossible ?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
hello, from windows 98 I tried to update it to 2000 but the setup.exe tells me it's impossible? Why ? would be a core problem?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Update 9x to NT Impossible ?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95 4.00.224
Windows 98 are in FAT, 2000 can working too with that, but it's not possible to upgrade it because a other System line then Win98

No one can stop me as a agressive OMEN X Fighter and conqueror, be warned.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Update 9x to NT Impossible ?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Mattdow wrote:
hello, from windows 98 I tried to update it to 2000 but the setup.exe tells me it's impossible? Why ? would be a core problem?

A Windows 98 to Windows 2000 upgrade is certainly possible, but there could be certain compatibility issues that prevent it from happening.
I recall that the Windows 2000 setup program produces a detailed report describing all of the possible upgrade issues. Before coming here for help, you should really check there.

(On the contrary, an in-place upgrade of Windows 9x to NT 4 is generally impossible: the setup program is not designed for that)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Update 9x to NT Impossible ?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3713
It is possible to upgrade to Windows 2000 (and Windows XP) from Windows 9x. I tried running the setup on Windows 98SE and Windows ME when I was trying to upgrade from Windows 1.0 to Windows XP and they ran through the entire setup fine.

xelloss wrote:
Mattdow wrote:

A Windows 98 to Windows 2000 upgrade is certainly possible, but there could be certain compatibility issues that prevent it from happening.
I recall that the Windows 2000 setup program produces a detailed report describing all of the possible upgrade issues. Before coming here for help, you should really check there.

(On the contrary, an in-place upgrade of Windows 9x to NT 4 is generally impossible: the setup program is not designed for that)

Yes, it does a compatibility check before the setup copies the files. Surprisingly, even after having many components from Windows 1.0 through Windows ME, the setup was still satisfied when I tested it. It still said that some applications may have to be reinstalled to work on NT kernel.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW