Finding Recovery Media

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
gtgamer468

Finding Recovery Media

Post by gtgamer468 »

Where can I find a recovery media for my specific PC? I have a couple of laptops that I need to reset to factory condition.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Finding Recovery Media

Post by mrpijey »

Check with the OEM. eBay is usually a good spot as well.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

superlions16

Post by superlions16 »

gtgamer468 wrote:Where can I find a recovery media for my specific PC? I have a couple of laptops that I need to reset to factory condition.
What are the models of your laptops?
Nothing to post here.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

One of my PC is an HP/Compaq Presario V2000 that had Windows XP preinstalled. Another PC, which I'm using as I'm writing this, is a Dell Inspiron 660 (not the S submodel) that was shipped with Windows 8.0 (not 8.1). I got the HP laptop used with no CDs almost a decade ago and for my Dell desktop, I made a mistake. At this time, Windows 10 Insider Program just began and I upgraded to build 9860. However, I never made the CDs from the recovery media. For the Dell PC, I contacted their out-of-warranty support (the warranty expired) and they want $200 for a hard drive with the recovery partition, which is definitely not worth it in my opinion.

superlions16

Post by superlions16 »

gtgamer468 wrote:One of my PC is an HP/Compaq Presario V2000 that had Windows XP preinstalled. Another PC, which I'm using as I'm writing this, is a Dell Inspiron 660 (not the S submodel) that was shipped with Windows 8.0 (not 8.1). I got the HP laptop used with no CDs almost a decade ago and for my Dell desktop, I made a mistake. At this time, Windows 10 Insider Program just began and I upgraded to build 9860. However, I never made the CDs from the recovery media. For the Dell PC, I contacted their out-of-warranty support (the warranty expired) and they want $200 for a hard drive with the recovery partition, which is definitely not worth it in my opinion.
Windows XP is on the FTP, but 8.0 isn't. The best thing to do is to get recovery media from the OEM or even eBay, like mrpijey said. You can also try Amazon.
Offtopic Comment
I'm typing this message on a pentium III with windows ME installed on Firefox 2 :P
Nothing to post here.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I don't mind downloading XP from the FTP server, but that means that I have to manually install the drivers (for me, it's a big pain as it can take a while). I would rather reset it to factory condition. But, I have already contacted a seller on eBay about the recovery media that I need and I will see if it's available.