Where did the fake Longhorn startup sound originate?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Punio

Where did the fake Longhorn startup sound originate?

Post by Punio »

I saw a thread in the NT/2000/XP forum not too long ago called 'Windows Whistler fake startup sound origin?' (https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 61&t=36726) and that got me interested in the origins of this particular startup sound. Real Longhorn builds use the XP or Vista startup sound, but this startup sound is often incorrectly thought of as Longhorn's startup sound. Do any of you know where this might have come from?

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, here's a clip of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-edqK0OSo

perry

Re: Where did the fake Longhorn startup sound originate?

Post by perry »

vista inspirat 2 came out with this sound,apparently it was made in december 22 2005 and last updated on may 29 2007

EDIT 1: forgot to mention that it was made by bricopacks.

Edness
Donator

Post by Edness »

IIRC, it came from a Windows XP theme called Royal Noir. And the "startup" sound heard there was the shutdown sound on the original theme.
ATTENTION:
You are now reading my signature

Thank you for your attention!

scatman

Post by scatman »

I've heard this before, was it not related to some Windows 98 hoax?

BF10

Post by BF10 »

Scat381 wrote:I've heard this before, was it not related to some Windows 98 hoax?
No, that was the fake Whistler's startup and shutdown.

BetaWiki contributor.

electron826

Post by electron826 »

Does anyone know whether the sounds were created specifically for the theme or where they sourced from somewhere else?

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

While the fake Longhorn sounds are often said to have originated from Vista Inspirat 2, I'm pretty sure they have further origins. The reason why I believe this is due to them dating back to mid-2003, along with Vista Inspirat 2 lacking a couple of these sounds (if I'm not mistaken). Another possible origin is a transformation pack called Longhorn Refined. However, that appears to have vanished off the internet entirely so there is no way to verify that it even has those sounds.

In conclusion, the origin of these sounds, along with who composed them is a mystery. There have even been rumors that they were leaked concept sounds, although I have yet to see concrete evidence to back this up other than them "sounding professional". While I agree with that, any amateur musician who has enough skill could've made these sounds.
Edness wrote:IIRC, it came from a Windows XP theme called Royal Noir. And the "startup" sound heard there was the shutdown sound on the original theme.
You're getting mixed up with the unofficial Royale Remixed theme, which combined the Royale visual styles (Royale, Royale Noir, Zune) into the one package with some enhancements. The startup sound of this theme originates from Vista's speech recognition tutorial, which is different from the one often mistaken for being Longhorn's startup (this sound has sometimes been mistaken for being Vista Beta 1's startup though).