Change HTML windows xp user account CPL to windows 2000 one?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
superlions16

Change HTML windows xp user account CPL to windows 2000 one?

Post by superlions16 »

I am still working on a XP mod and I would like to know how to bring back the Windows 2000 user account manager instead of the XP one. Thanks. :)
Nothing to post here.

3155ffGd

Re: Change HTML windows xp user account CPL to windows 2000

Post by 3155ffGd »

Back in the day there were many many registry hacks that added the old Windows 2000 users applet to the control panel. Here's one (very popular) example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040415041 ... s2ToCP.reg

You'll have to adjust this to your needs, for example the default icon set here is truly terrible. I think the correct icon is found in netplwiz.dll but I'd double check on that.

Removing the Windows XP CPL is easy, just delete nusrmgr.cpl.

superlions16

Post by superlions16 »

3155ffGd wrote:Back in the day there were many many registry hacks that added the old Windows 2000 users applet to the control panel. Here's one (very popular) example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040415041 ... s2ToCP.reg

You'll have to adjust this to your needs, for example the default icon set here is truly terrible. I think the correct icon is found in netplwiz.dll but I'd double check on that.

Removing the Windows XP CPL is easy, just delete nusrmgr.cpl.
Thanks, but how do I use this hack during Setup of Windows? Is there an option in nLite?
Nothing to post here.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

The lazy way is to just add these entries to HIVECLS.INF.

The non-lazy way is to check at which point the Control Panel gets registered in the registry. A few DLLs have built-in INF files in their resources which they use to register themselves during Setup (e. g. shell32.dll, shdocvw.dll), but I haven't found out yet which DLL is responsible for the Control Panel.

EDIT: I found it.

Open netplwiz.dll in Resource Hacker and look at the REGINST section and you'll see a section "UnRegWorkstation". The Windows 2000 User Accounts Control Panel applet is actually added as a CLSID, but never appears in Control Panel because the NameSpace entry is deleted (if it's already there, e. g. from a Windows 2000 upgrade). The correct way, then, would be to delete the [UnRegWorkstation] section and add the line to the above section, [RegWorkstation] instead. The [RegDllWorkstation] section at the very top then needs to be adjusted to remove the "DelReg=UnRegWorkstation".

superlions16

Post by superlions16 »

3155ffGd wrote:The lazy way is to just add these entries to HIVECLS.INF.

The non-lazy way is to check at which point the Control Panel gets registered in the registry. A few DLLs have built-in INF files in their resources which they use to register themselves during Setup (e. g. shell32.dll, shdocvw.dll), but I haven't found out yet which DLL is responsible for the Control Panel.

EDIT: I found it.

Open netplwiz.dll in Resource Hacker and look at the REGINST section and you'll see a section "UnRegWorkstation". The Windows 2000 User Accounts Control Panel applet is actually added as a CLSID, but never appears in Control Panel because the NameSpace entry is deleted (if it's already there, e. g. from a Windows 2000 upgrade). The correct way, then, would be to delete the [UnRegWorkstation] section and add the line to the above section, [RegWorkstation] instead. The [RegDllWorkstation] section at the very top then needs to be adjusted to remove the "DelReg=UnRegWorkstation".
I get this:

[RegDllWorkstation]
RequiredEngine=SETUPAPI,%ERR_NOSETUPAPI%
AddReg=RegWorkstation
DelReg=UnRegWorkstation

so is it like this?
[RegDllWorkstation]
DelReg=UnRegWorkstation
AddReg=RegWorkstation

if not, are you able to paste the new code? i'm having trouble understanding the directions.
Nothing to post here.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

Hold on, I just turned on clipboard sharing between host and guest and it actually works for once.

So this:

Code: Select all

[RegWorkstation]
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%",,,"%DESC_UsersAndPasswords%"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%","InfoTip",,"%IT_UsersAndPasswords%"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\ShellFolder",Attributes,%REGDW%,0x00000000
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\DefaultIcon",,%REGEXSZ%,"%_SYS_MOD_PATH%,-102"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\Shell\Open\Command",,%REGEXSZ%,"rundll32.exe %_SYS_MOD_PATH%,UsersRunDll"
HKLM,"%SMWCVSEA%","%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%",,"%DESC_UsersAndPasswords%"
[UnRegWorkstation]
HKLM,"%PATH_EXPLORER%\ControlPanel\NameSpace\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%"
Would look like this instead:

[RegWorkstation]
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%",,,"%DESC_UsersAndPasswords%"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%","InfoTip",,"%IT_UsersAndPasswords%"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\ShellFolder",Attributes,%REGDW%,0x00000000
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\DefaultIcon",,%REGEXSZ%,"%_SYS_MOD_PATH%,-102"
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%\Shell\Open\Command",,%REGEXSZ%,"rundll32.exe %_SYS_MOD_PATH%,UsersRunDll"
HKLM,"%SMWCVSEA%","%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%",,"%DESC_UsersAndPasswords%"
HKLM,"%PATH_EXPLORER%\ControlPanel\NameSpace\%CLSID_UsersAndPasswords%"
And this:

[RegDllWorkstation]
AddReg=RegWorkstation
DelReg=UnRegWorkstation
Would look like this:

[RegDllWorkstation]