Energy Star MS-DOS BIOS VM Boot Questions

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
AMinecraft1202

Energy Star MS-DOS BIOS VM Boot Questions

Post by AMinecraft1202 »

Currently, my mind is all over the place when it comes to the logos that appear during those boot screens with MS-DOS installed on them. For example, I don't yet know for sure know what exactly that boot screem comes from. or what and OEM is supposed to be when its put into an emulator like VirtualBox. How exactly does the boot screens work?
I would like to know more about these boot screens, mainly because i cant properly install the Packard Bell DOS 4.0, and if its possible that somewhere or somehow, its possible to have a monitor config or something of an Energy Star monitor. I know, I know, im all over the place, so let me try to break it down a little bit...

I don't know how boot screens back then (specifically on MS-DOS) work.
I believe it has something to do with either the Monitor itself or the software pack in with DOS.
Even though i have yet to figure out how to properly install the Packard Bell OEM DOS, i assume there would be a boot screen for Packard Bell within the VM. I've seen a couple images of the boot screen before, but I'd love to know if thats actually true.
If it is true, I want to know if its possible or if there even exists a version of MS-DOS that contains the configurations and setup of the Energy Star stuff, including the boot screen.

If its even possible to even include the Energy Star boot screen to be displayed in a VM, I'd love to know the closest way to emulate one.

Any help at all would be so thankful!
Hai! Welcome to Chilli's!

Overdoze

Re: Energy Star MS-DOS BIOS VM Boot Questions

Post by Overdoze »

DOS rarely had a proper bootscreen, except when an OEM added one. What you're talking about comes from the computer's BIOS.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The energy star thing comes from the BIOS, and you would normally go into BIOS to set this. But most VM do not have a bios you enter from inside the application.

If you are running MS-DOS or PC-DOS, the initial boot is a black character-mode screen, and the text starts with 'Starting MS-DOS.....' or Starting PC-DOS.....'. Windows 9x uses DOS, but says 'Starting Windows .....'

The various drivers then announce themselves with their own start-up and error messages. This continues through config.sys and autoexec.bat.

There was a program available that you could load a startup screen over windows. I modified the source, so it would look for an RLE in a directory. It works fine under DOS and Windows 9x.

AMinecraft1202

Post by AMinecraft1202 »

If the program is still around, I'd love to find a way to use it. Or else I'm wondering if the shell of a VM would have anything to do with getting a BIOS installed. Or if I'd be able to flash the bios through the shell. I know of those AWARD bios types, and I've seen them in the photos and gifs people make of it.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

AMinecraft1202 wrote:If the program is still around, I'd love to find a way to use it. Or else I'm wondering if the shell of a VM would have anything to do with getting a BIOS installed. Or if I'd be able to flash the bios through the shell. I know of those AWARD bios types, and I've seen them in the photos and gifs people make of it.
I'm not entirely sure you understand the terms you're using. But if you want to see the Energy Star logo on the BIOS POST screen, you can download PCem or 86box and emulate one of the newer 486 or Pentium machines.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

AMinecraft1202

Post by AMinecraft1202 »

what do you mean i dont understand the terms i use? and ill try those.